Chapter 23 PT. 2

a/n
I added some steam🔥🔥 to make it up for the long wait, I mean its no 50 shades of grey or hot tea. Just lukewarm ya know🤷

H A R V E Y

"Put that away." I whisper harshly nudging him away from the door.

"Hey, Rueben-" He enters carrying grocery bags. "I thought I knocked on the wrong door for a second." Rueben chuckles setting down the groceries on the ground. "Hello, I'm Rueben and you are?"

"Grant, I'm Grant." He waves awkwardly. "Nice to meet you Grant, hopefully both of you won't mind me asking for help bringing in the groceries."

"Not a problem, lets go Grant." Both of us head outside into the driveway. "What was that!" I stop him behind the car. "What was what?" He questions indifferently. "You know what I mean!" Grant shrugs and takes one bag on either hand. "I don't know what-"

"The gun! Grant the gun! Why do you have it with you?" I trail behind him as he slows his pace. "Oh you mean that." I resist the urge to mock his fake shock. "Yes that! What the hell Grant! Do you even know how to use one?"

He shrugs in response and carries the bags in, thinking that would quench my desire for an answer. "It's a safety precaution." He mutters almost inaudibly as we enter the kitchen. "Jesus-" I mumble under my breath as various scenarios run through my head. Not only am I in trouble but I'm placing the people I cherish in danger. "I don't think its a good idea that we stay here." I shake my head .

"Why? What's wrong? Did you see something?"

I stand my ground firmly as Grant walks around me over to the window. "No Grant. I didn't see anything- I- I'm putting them in danger. I'm putting my family in danger just by being here. This wasn't a good idea. What if they find us? What if they find us and hurt Dianne's family? What then? I- I cant do this. It was stupid coming here-"

"Harvey, look. Listen to me-" Grant edges away from the window.

"I- I can't lose them- I can't lose people anymore- I don't think I'll survive this time-" My voice becomes muffled as Grant tugs me into his chest. "It's going to be ok. No one is going to get hurt. I'll make sure of it. Shh- No one will lose anyone."

"Dinner is ready!" Dianne's voice rings through the house.

"C'mon lets go, maybe through dinner you'll be able to clear your head for a bit." He pats my head effectively messing up my hair even further. He lets me go and we walk together into the the conjoined kitchen and dinning table. "It smells great Dianne." Grant smiles pleasantly taking a seat across from Rueben. "And it tastes good too, Grant." Rueben straightens his posture as soon as Dianne set the first dish down. "Oh hush Rueben! My cooking barely passes by. Now Aaron did you eash your hands?"

I shake my head at her humble reply and focus on balancing both dishes on either hand. "That's the last dish Harvs. Thank you now go sit down." She shoos me away from the kitchen counter. I take a seat between Grant and Aaron who seem to consume each dish with their nose. Dianne finally settles and sit beside Rueben. "Let's eat!"

And just like that the dishes brimming with steaming food turned to nearly empty bowls.

"-and then he ran around the yard naked after our neighbor caught him red handed." Grant chokes on his food as Aaron whines lowly, slouching in his chair,  red faced. "Oh that certainly stopped him from going outside to use the restroom. Harvey you remember that one time, right?" Dianne unleashes another story before I can answer her directed question.