Chapter 2

Harvey's POV

     I shove the note deep inside my pocket unsure what it meant.

"You good Harvs?" Dianne asks raising a brow pointing at the note I shoved.

"Yeah yeah just a receipt. Lets get closing, alrighty." I nod as I check my watch seeing its almost midnight.

"Whatever you say Harvey." the bright spirited woman chirped.

In her early thirties, Dianne is bright soul with long wavy brunette hair and warm inviting hazel eyes. She's long been here before I have and knows the place really well.

The first time I met her I was taken back by her friendliness and kindness towards me. She was the first one to make an attempt to befriend me. As the days passed and I continued working here she became more of a mother figure or someone I knew I could trust with a connection of somesorts. She was always there, let it be homework or somewhere to crash when I knew things were a bit too rough at home.

"How are things back at home?" her spirited attitude diminished and soon crashed her worried gaze.

"They- things are fine. I'm alright." I send her a small smile. I didn't exactly lie, things weren't too good at home but I was still breathing and I consider that good enough.

Dianne doesn't know about the occasional abuse but she believes to know the surface of the situation. She believes I am being neglected by my parent, which to some extent is true.

Not buying my response she answers worriedly, "You're welcome to crash at my place. Aaron and Ruben miss you dearly." She refers to her son and husband.

"I miss them too." I smile remembering the events from a few nights ago.

She grins widely knowing all too well she won.

"Great! I'll go set things up for tomorrow while you go grab your stuff." She quickly shoos me away as the keys jingle in her hand.

"Alright alright!" I raise my hands in surrender walking away to my locker compartment. My ribs ache with every step I take.

Reaching my locker I unzip my bag and uncap an Ibprofen bottle. Popping the pill in my mouth I chug water from my waterbottle soon after.

I sigh as I take off my green apron hanging it on a hook. I shimmy out of my black work jeans and stuff them into my bag. Taking off my shirt, I notice how bad and dark the bruises are. Stupidly I poke a dark purple black bruise, flinching from how badly it throbbed.

I tug my shirt off and get dress in my regular clothes. As soon as put on my hoodie Dianne storms in talking about how her husband and son are on the way.

We wait outside in the cold for her husband to come pick us up.

The cold air nipped my cheeks probably turning them rosy pink. It was mid October and it already felt like winter even though it was a few months away.

I hug myself tighter against my hoodie. I was wrapped up in an old yet warm dark blue scarf, with most likely two layers of thin long sleeves, and the hoodie of cousre.

With all the clothes on I could still somewhat feel the could crisp air.

"Oh look they're here!" Dianne quickly ushered me to the familiar stopping car.

Once inside the car I'm attacked by warm air and Aaron's tiny body.

"Harvey!" Aaron mumbles muffled due to having his face stuffed awkwardly in my neck. He was a shy kid but that somehow made him even more adorable.

"Hey there kiddo." I move slightly trying to stop aching resonating from my stomach area.

He unwraps his arms but stays close and takes my hand instead.

"I'm glad you're here." he smiles tiredly snuggling close to me.

"Me too kid, me too." I sweep his dirty blonde hair away from his face.

The ride was quiet and had a nice warm atmosphere surrounding us. Throughout the ride I found myself questioning why couldn't I have a family like this.

They all are so kind and understanding. They have helped me more times in the span of a few months than my father has in years.

My heart aches when knowing that what I want is exactly what I can't have.

* *

"You know where the gust room is Harvey. Why don't you settle in for the night." Ruben smiles pointing upstairs.

"Thanks again. I don't know how I'll repay you guys for the hospitality and all of this-"

"Don't sweat it Harvs, knowing you're safe and here is good enough pay back for both of us." Dianne butts in wrapping an arm around Ruben.

I nod heading upstairs feeling warmth sprout in my chest.

Heading to bed changing into spare night clothes I left here a few nights ago I review my night.

His mesmerizing dark chocolate eyes and fine structured face would surely haunt my dreams tonight.

I rummage through my work jeans to find the note he left me. The crinkled paper was fairly intact and I couldn't stop replaying the events in my head over and over again.

My anxiety probably made the whole scene a lot more embarrassing than it was because I cringed as I remeber how stupidly I froze up scared.

In this world I learned one thing. Fear got you nowhere. You wanted something you had to work for it. Fear only made you easier access to those who want to hurt you. But it takes years to turn that fear into power and strength. Something I still haven't quite accomplished.