Chapter 21

*not edited

DREW

"I'll do it for you."

Her eyes widened adorably as her smaller hands fisted my shirt. "I'll see you soon, Baby Blue." My voice lowered an octave and I felt a lump on my throat as she grinned bashfully.

I pull her into another soul-crushing hug before I depart. "Bye Drew, be safe." Nodding I glance once more at her mesmerizing features, trying to engrave every single curve of her lips and the bright, blue eyes that reminded me of the sky after a storm. Opening the door, the cold nippy air attacked my front.

Stopping by my apartment I leave my stuffed duffle bag and pick up my burner phone. I bring my pen with a hidden camera and a small tape recorder built in a watch. I lock everything up before leaving. I raise my hand to hail a cab once infront of the busy apartment complex. "Where to?"

"Braxton's by downtown New Jersey."

Silence soon followed after, leaving me alone with my inner thoughts.

A while passed before I arrived at the bar. The low rumble of an airplane passing over my head rang. Whilst paying for the cab, I eye my surroundings. Few people were around this time of day. I spot a hefty man sitting on the bar stool impatiently jerking his knee up and down. He downed his drink and lifted his chubby pointer finger for another one. I paced my way over there and sat a few seats away, still in ear-shot.

"Why the hell is it so hot in here. Bartender! Barten- Will you turn up the A/C its fucking hot..." The hefty man demanded, grumbling as the bartender nodded going out back the door of the bar. "Stupid fool." He took his drink's napkin and dabbed his face. When the same bartender entered again, I ordered a beer.

I took the beer off the table and took a sip. A few minutes passed and the man a few seats away from me never stopped sweating. "Bartender! God da-"

He was cut off as two familiar large men sitting on either side of him. "Everything's fine Oscar, right Davie." One of them spoke to the nearing bartender. Davie grunted while mumbling intangible words but obliged.

The bartender, Oscar, continued drying the glass mugs seemingly ignoring the men behind him. "This is a new one, he never sends his bitches-"

"I'd refrain from finishing your idiotic sentence, Davie." Another new voice spoke ending his name in a mock drawl.

"Kane! Where the fuck have you been? I've been waiting nearly an hour-" I avert my gaze elsewhere as Kane glances my direction. I sip my beer gone before ordering another one, this time a female bartender handing it to me. "Thank you beautiful." I slur.

She eyes me up and down before turning away. I take a swig of my beer before mindlessly staring out to space. "Shut it you incompetent fool. The only reason you're not dead yet is due to your relation to James. But believe me, if it weren't for him, I'd personally make sure you were rotten 6 feet under the ground. I bet you wouldn't mind taking your daughter with you, right? Better yet, you wouldn't mind if my bitches had fun with her first, would you?" I tense up hearing the new piece of information. Davie's daughter is alive?

"Listen here you dick, James is shit. He has nothing to do with this- it's you and me. You tell me when and where I'll make it happen-"
Kane chuckles shuffling in his spot. "You and what men, wait let me rephrase this. You and whose men? You're nothing with out James-"

The screeching of a chair being dragged on the floor is heard before grunts and a loud thump is heard from my drunken mien. "You piece of shit-" He's cut off by flesh hitting flesh. "Enough of these juvenile games. Your homework is in Cape May, you know where."

I glance at the men to see one of the cleaning their bloodied knuckles with a handkerchief. Kane, I pressume, spoke once more before leaving. "Pleasure doing business." He walks out, his bodyguards following in suite. I pull out a few bills before standing. I pay no attention to the bloodied, grumbling man on the stool and walk out a few feet away from the men.
One of them turns his head and connects his eyes at me. Realization dawns on him as well as I. Instead of running I allow him to ram me into the concrete wall. "Let me gur-" He pressed his bulky arm further onto my throat.

"You escaped me once, you're not doing it twice-"

"Dante!" I groaned slurring my repeatative 'let goes'. "Dante for fucks sake let the drunk man go." Kane ordered clearly on his last whim of patience. "Boss, you remember the asshole who spied on us last time? Well the little rat made another appearance." Footsteps walking closer where audible until a shadow cast over me. "Lemme go, you cunt." I still played along to my card.

Dark souless eyes seemed look right through my skull. "You sure?"

"Positive boss, can't forget a face like his."

"You think I'm p-pretty?" I gurgled.

"Put him in the trunk." As soon as his pressure lifted from my throat I head bumped him and socked his abdomin. I made a run for it in the empty, rundown streets of New Jersey. My heart pounded as gunshots resonated behind me. "Fucking shit." I made a right turn into a gated alley. Jumping on the fence I began to climb, bidding my time. I was about 15 minutes away from the actual city of Jersey, by car that is. If they were any ounce of mildly smart, I highly doubt they'd pull out a gun in the middle of crowds of people.

A shot ricocheted a foot away from my head. "There he is!" Landing on all limbs I wobbly stand and sprint away, ducking every few seconds as the bullets belted around me.

Luck seemed to have been scared shitless from all those bullets because as soon as another bullet ricocheted near my head, another one nicked my forearm. "Son of a bitch." I cursed as the burning sensation increased in both my lungs and arm. I turned another corner escaping the bullets before turning the other side. "What do I do- what do I-" In my peripheral vision I see a large dumpster. Running up to it, I move up behind it. I watch as the figures run past the dumpster. Waiting a few more seconds I exit my hiding place and jog the opposite direction. As I continued jogging more and more people were out in the streets. I was nearing downtown.

A small gasp alerted me out of my stupor. Turning my head I see a middle aged woman staring balantly at my blood seeped sleeve. Using my other arm I try to cover up my injured one while walking briskly. "God I miss payphones." I grumble as I patted my jeans for my burner. "Excuse me sir- Miss! Miss! May I use your cell?" Both of them ignore me and continue walking. Walking a little ways further down the street, I ask again. "Excuse me- Sorry, sorry I need to make a phone call its really important-" He shakes his head before sidestepping me. Frustration bubbled in me but it was soon replaced with panic as I spot Kane's henchmen down the road.

Walking faster up the street I enter a random diner before asking the waiter for permission to use the phone. "Please, its really important. It won't last more than 5 minutes." He nods eyeing me suspiciously before bringing me to the side. "Make it quick I don't want my manager to find out. He'll fire me for sure."

I nod impatiently waiting for him to exit. Once he stands a few yards away I dial Vincent's cell. By the fourth ring my hope starts to dwindle. "For fucks sa- Hello? Hello?" Vincent's agravated voice answer through the phone. "I need you to come pick me up."

"Drew? Drew where the fuck are you? What the fuck was that about being gone-" Shuffling and loud whispers where heard on the other side. "Look now is not the best time-"

"You're one to talk about time! You just got up and left! Drew I swear to everything that is holy and mighty that-"

"God damn it Vincent shut up for just one second and listen. I need you to come pick me up. I am in New Jersey. Do you think you can drop by-"

"Yeah, Drew just tell me where you are and I'll go pick you up." Vincent shuffled through the phone probaby grabbing a pen and paper. After telling him where I would await I asked for one more thing.

"Vincent, I need you to do one more thing before you come."

"What?"

I grip the phone tighter as Kane and his bodyguards pass by the diner. "Bring your gun."