Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

Claire’s P.O.V.

“Steph!” I dropped the sign I had been holding and ran towards the girl I had spotted at the airport. She was doing her best to run too, her suitcase rolling behind her, light brown hair flying and hazel eyes full of excitement. When I got to my best friend, I pulled her into a bone-crushing hug. It was obvious that we hadn’t seen each other since we had both moved, me to L.A. and her to Houston. As much as we had wanted to stay close to each other, we also wanted to live our own lives, even if that meant being in separate states. So far it had worked out, and I was sure it would continue to work as long as we got to see each other occasionally.

“Hey Claire! Wow, I haven’t hugged you in forever!” Stephanie realized after we let go of each other.

“I know. It’s crazy, being so far away from each other,” I said.

“Yeah, but I’ve been enjoying Houston a lot and I’m sure you love it here.”

“I really do. So does Mark…oh yeah, I left Mark over there. We should probably go join him,” I decided.

“Hey Stephanie. Nice to see you,” Mark greeted her, pulling her into a hug once we had found our way over to him.

“Nice to see you too, Mark! Thank you guys for coming here to pick me up.”

“No problem. Well, what are we waiting for? You need to see L.A.!”

The three of us headed back to the apartment, and Stephanie took in every little bit of scenery she saw during the car ride. When we got into the apartment, I gave her a tour and she made herself comfortable in the guest bedroom. We didn’t stay at the apartment for long, though. I was always surrounded by guys, since most of Mark’s friends fell under the category of the male gender. I missed having a girl to hang out with dearly, and the fact that I was reunited with my best friend made it that much better. Stephanie and I headed out to the mall, because shopping was one of the best ways for us to talk and bond, as well as get a few new things.

“You’re so lucky to be living here,” Stephanie decided as she looked at all the stores that surrounded her. One of her dreams had been to visit L.A., and she seemed to be loving her first visit so far.

“I know. It’s perfect here,” I sighed dreamily.

“It is. So, speaking of perfect, how are you and Mark?” she wondered, and I chuckled a little.

“We’re great. I wouldn’t say perfect, but we’re pretty good,” I answered. “Speaking of Mark, I need to get something for him while we’re here. His birthday is on June 28.”

“The same day as Bob’s wedding?” Steph asked. I nodded. “How’s that going to work? Do you guys have plans the next day or something?”

“We were going to go out somewhere in Cincinnati the next day, since we’re going to be there anyways. I wanted to do something for him the night of his birthday though, maybe after we get back to the hotel from the wedding,” I explained. Stephanie got a smug smile on her face as I spoke.