Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Claire’s POV

After Mark and I had gone to the doctor and talked, the atmosphere was a lot happier in our apartment. I was in a really good mood, actually, until I had an epiphany. Mark was struggling with a few worries, but was fine overall. I was a little scared, but still excited. I had talked to Stephanie again, who was completely supportive and glad to hear that I was no longer upset. But what about my parents? Mark’s family? His friends? Nobody really knew about our situation yet, and I was terrified to tell them. I was sure that Mark’s mom and friends would be happy for us, but I couldn’t say the same about my mom and dad. I knew they expected me to get married before having any kids, and I honestly had expected that of myself too. They never found out the truth about Mark, so they didn’t really have anything against him. They had grown to like him, actually, and I didn’t want something like this to change that.

“You have to tell them, Claire. You can’t wait until you’re sixth months pregnant and show up at their doorstep with a huge belly to surprise them,” Mark told me. I knew he was right, but I was afraid.

“Can we please just tell your mom and brother and Bob and Wade first? They’ll take the news a whole lot better,” I answered.

“If you really want to, then yes. But first you have to promise me that you’ll call your parents and schedule a trip to see them afterwards,” Mark negotiated. I thought for a second, then sighed.

“Alright, fine. I promise.”

Mark logged onto Skype and called his mom, who answered quickly since she had gotten his text saying she needed to log on. 

“Hey you two! How have you been?” she asked, a smile on her face.

“We’ve been great, Mom. What about you?”

“I’ve been just fine.”

“Well, we have some news to tell you, so you better brace yourself,” Mark warned her.

“It’s good news, I hope?” I looked over at Mark and smiled.

“We’d consider it good news,” I assured her.

“Well, what is it? Tell me already!” Mark’s mom demanded when we were silent for a moment.

“You’re going to have another grandchild,” Mark announced, grinning.

“You mean…Claire’s pregnant?” I nodded.

“Oh my goodness! Congratulations! Wow, I can’t even tell you how excited I am for you two! Are you excited?” His mother’s response was overwhelmingly positive, and I was so glad that she was happy for us.

“Yes, and nervous. Very, very nervous,” I laughed.

“Oh, don’t be nervous yet! This might sound crazy, but you have to enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. You’ll appreciate it so much once your little angel is born, I promise!”

Mark and I talked to his mom for a few more minutes. She was full of questions, even though we didn’t have a whole lot of answers. All we could say was that I was about four weeks along, we had been to the doctor, and we were doing a lot of research. She had a lot of good things to say, which left me feeling happy when we ended the Skype call. But, of course, we weren’t done yet. We preceded to Skype with Mark’s older brother, Tom, as well as Bob and Wade. All three of them congratulated us, and they were just as positive. Even so, I still was reluctant to call my mom. I knew I had to do it. I had to make sure Mark and I could go there for a visit, because I had to tell my parents in person. They would want that, and it was the right thing to do.