Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

“MARK!” I yelled my boyfriend’s name as loud as I could, and he came rushing into the living room to join me on the couch.

“What?! What is it? Is something wrong?!” he asked in a panic. 

“No, no, no! Nothing’s wrong! Feel my belly,” I prompted him. He hesitated, so I took his hand and placed it gently on my baby bump. We both sat there in silence for a moment, and then he looked at me and a grin spread across his face.

“She’s moving. I can feel her moving around!” he exclaimed, happy as can be.

“I know! This is the first time I’ve ever really felt anything. She’s moving a lot,” I explained. I was so glad that I could finally feel her rotating and kicking. It made me feel like she was okay and things were going well. It was reassuring to me.

“I can’t wait until she’s born,” Mark said. “She’s going to be beautiful and sweet, just like you,” he added, his hand still on my stomach even though there was no longer any internal movement.

“Hopefully funny and caring like you, too. And I wouldn’t mind if she had your dark hair, since mine isn’t naturally dark,” I admitted.

“Let’s be honest here. We’re both hella attractive people. She’s going to be cute no matter what,” Mark decided.

“Yeah, you have a point,” I laughed. Soon afterwards, I found myself yawning. It wasn’t all that late yet, but I was more tired those days than I used to be before I was pregnant.

“Is it bedtime already?” Mark wondered.

“No, not yet,” I replied, trying to be tough. I didn’t want to go to bed yet, so we stayed up and watched TV. Twenty minutes later, I was practically asleep with my head on Mark’s shoulder and my eyes closed.

“Did you fall asleep?” he whispered.

“Almost,” I answered silently.

“Let’s go to bed,” he suggested. I lifted my head and he picked me up bridal style. He carried me to our room and laid me down on my side of the bed. I was already in PJs, so I got under the blankets and easily drifted off. I felt his arms snake around me right before I crossed the line between consciousness and sleep.

***********************************************

The soreness, fatigue, and mood swings of pregnancy continued for the next few months, along with the growing size of my belly. The baby got a lot more active too, and I was able to make accusations based on the timing of her movements. I decided that she liked pop music and ice cream and Doctor Who, and she seemed to be excited when Mark was around as well.

We worked on the nursery, which had a lavender, gray, and white theme. We mostly just decorated, since we would get a lot of things for it at the baby shower. There was one specific decoration that I wanted: the baby’s name on the wall. I knew where to find letters to hang up on the wall, but Mark and I hadn’t decided on a name. We had been through what felt like thousands of ideas, but none of them were good enough. We both wanted the name to mean a lot to us, but we didn’t want it to be really common. It needed to be something that was somewhat unique, even if it wasn’t completely new and made up. Apparently that was difficult to come by. However, everything about that changed one day when I saw a name that I had heard before, but not often. I looked further into it, and the meaning and story behind it convinced me that it was perfect for our little girl. I told Mark about it, and he agreed that it was a great name for her. But, we also decided that we would keep the name a secret until she was born. Neither of us wanted to tell anyone the name idea and have them turn it down. We didn’t want to be swayed and change our minds about it and have to go back to square one. We had spent too much time just to get this far. We would tell absolutely no one until the name was finalized on a birth certificate. Mark couldn’t tell Bob and Wade and I couldn’t tell Stephanie. Our families couldn’t know. Only us. It was a difficult secret to keep, but we decided we would have to manage.

************************************************

The eight month mark was a big one, in more ways than one. For one thing, my belly was absolutely huge. I could hardly believe that I still had another month with it and it would only get bigger within that month. I definitely walked awkwardly with all the extra weight I had to support, and I had a whole, good sized maternity wardrobe at that point. I had learned to rock the pregnant look, according to Mark, and I never tried to hide my bump. Why wouldn’t I wear fitted dresses? It was impossible to ignore my size, so I might as well show it off and flaunt it. I had as much fun with maternity clothes as I could, especially for the maternity photo shoot we agreed to do, which was another big part of the eight month checkpoint.

I always loved the idea of maternal photo shoots - it was the first set of family photos, and there were so many beautiful ideas. I had plenty in mind, so I was really excited when the photographer who did my senior pictures in high school came over to do the pictures. I loved her work, and I didn’t trust anyone as much as her to take the photos. That, and I knew her, so I was comfortable with the whole situation.

We got the photos done in our apartment. Mark and I got to glance at a few of them as a bit of a sneak peek, and I was in love with them. Seeing them made me realize how lucky and happy I was. I felt so grateful to be with someone as amazing and supportive as Mark, and I couldn’t wait for our daughter to be born. 

A few days after the photo shoot, my mom threw me a baby shower. It was somewhat small, but it was fun. I got a ton of the things Mark and I had picked out for the gift registry, which was really helpful. It made me feel a lot more prepared, considering the fact that there was only about a month left before we would have a baby to take care of. It was almost unbelievable that we were that close to truly becoming parents, but it was true. Reality was setting in.

Hey guys! I know this chapter was very short and I sped through a lot, but I really didn't intend to make the pregnancy drag on for too long. I want to get things moving. I have some good plans for the next few chapters of this story, so I'm looking forward to writing some more. Please vote if you enjoyed the chapter and leave me some comments. Thanks for sticking with this story :)