Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Things were going well for Mark and I overall, but that didn’t mean we didn’t argue like any other couple. With only a week left in the pregnancy, I was stressed out. I could have the baby at any given moment, and I was constantly worrying about whether or not I was ready. I counted on Mark to help me out a lot with everyday things like cooking and cleaning, and he did everything he could to assist me. But with his channel, he was still busy. Sometimes I honestly felt like he forgot about me, and that upset me. He might have had his channel longer than me, but I was carrying his child, after all. 

“Mark! Can you help me carry groceries in?” I grabbed the lighter bags and brought them inside.

“I’ll be right there!” he hollered from the office. He must have been editing something. I began putting things away, and a good fifteen minutes later, the rest of he groceries were still sitting in the car. I padded down to the office and peeked my head in the doorway, and he was recording a new video. As in, he had literally just started. I could understand if he had been in the middle of recording before, but he was definitely editing. He never responded if he was playing something, which meant that he had forgotten that he told me he would come help me. This type of thing was happening a lot lately, and it was getting on my nerves. He didn’t even notice that I was there, so I went back out to the car and brought the bags in myself. I was able to do it, but everything was a hassle at that point. My belly seemed to get in the way of everything.

An hour had passed and I was relaxing in the living room when Mark exited the office, done working for the day, or maybe just for the time being.

“Hey,” he greeted me with a smile. I frowned. “What?” he asked. Of course. He didn’t even remember that I had asked him to do something.

“You don’t even know what you did. Great,” I huffed.

“You’re right, I don’t know. What did I do?”

“I asked you over an hour ago to help me with groceries. You said you would and after fifteen minutes you were back to recording. You completely forgot about me. Again,” I explained.

“Shit. I’m sorry, Claire! I was working hard on editing and you know how I am when I work - it’s like I’m on a mission. I don’t think, I just do, until I have nothing left to work on,” he apologized. I had heard it before.

“I get that Youtube is your job, and you’ve worked hard to get where you are now and you need to continue to work hard to get better or at least maintain this. I know that your fans and your channel mean the world to you, and that you’ll do whatever it takes to entertain them and make them happy. I understand that you care a lot about what you do, but our baby needs to be the priority right now. I don’t care that she hasn’t been born yet. She’s still there, and for the time being, I’m the one carrying her. That means you need to help me out, and actually remember when you say you’re going to,” I lectured him.

“You and the baby are my number one priority. I’m sorry I didn’t help this time. I’ll remember next time. I promise.”

“Don’t make a promise you can’t keep. This just keeps happening, and I’m getting sick of it. If you care, I’m pretty sure you can stop what you’re doing for one second and come help me. I know that this was just groceries and maybe that’s not a big deal, but the fact that you’re too engrossed in your work to notice me every single day is a little ridiculous. I thought you were committed to me and this baby.”

“I am committed! You think just because I’ve made some little mistakes lately means that I’m not committed to our relationship and our family? Really?!” I could tell Mark was getting really angry, and I was mad too.