Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

A few weeks passed and things seemed to be the same as always. Mark was busy. He was traveling, flying people out to LA, recording, editing, and trying to stay as connected to his fans as possible, all while maintaining a relationship with me. Somehow we managed to have us time - it just didn’t include any fancy or romantic dates or nights out, for the most part. To top it all off, Mark hadn’t had any angry outbursts or close calls since the last one at the grocery store. Everything was going well, and yet, I was stressed.

For one thing, my hormones were all screwed up. I had recently gotten back on birth control, and I was messed up from getting off of it for a week and then getting back on it. The experience made me decide I would never be too lazy to pick it up again. My only inspiration to go get it was because it made my shark week less miserable and it was supposed to be coming up soon, but I hadn’t yet begun to experience the week-before symptoms. I wasn’t sore, cranky, or in pain, and there were no signs of Mother Nature’s worst gift. But that didn’t bother me, really. It being late by a week was actually very normal for me, and now my abnormal medication pattern was giving my body a reason to act weird.

Naturally, I didn’t really start to worry until it had been a week and a half. A couple days after that mark, I started to wonder if it was all because of the issue of getting back on medication. That had to be it, but this thought was coming from the girl whose period was late by two months in sixth grade, making her think she had to be the virgin Mary. There was really no validation at all.

I guess a doctor would be the right person to contact, but instead I turned to Stephanie. I decided to Facetime her. Mark was out on a trip, filming things with Cyndago in South Carolina, so he wouldn’t overhear anything and get worried for (probably) nothing.

“Hey Claire!” Stephanie happily said when she answered my Facetime call.

“Hi Steph! How’s Texas?”

“It’s July, so…hot as hell,” she answered, and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“That seems about right,” I decided.

“So, what seems to be the problem? You only choose Facetime over phone calls or texting if it’s something serious,” Stephanie recalled. I sighed. How was I even going to begin to explain my situation without freaking her out?

“Yeah, well, I’m not sure if I actually have a real problem. There’s just the slightest possibility that something has gone horribly wrong.”

“Can you be a little more specific? I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about!” she demanded. I sighed deeply before I began to explain myself.

“Okay, so you might remember that I’m a very lazy person sometimes…” I began.

“How could I forget?”

“Exactly. So, I was supposed to pick up my birth control for the month and I didn’t feel like it, therefore I delayed the task a week because I realized it was almost shark week time and I’m not about to deal with cramps that make me want to die,” I rambled.