Four - Grand Admiral

The Chimera

Thrawn stands on the steely gray bridge of the Chimera. He gazes out the viewport, into empty space beyond. Captain Phasma walks up, and stands next to him.

"I was told that you're preparations have been completed," she says.

"Thank you, Captain." Thrawn replies, without turning.

"What exactly did you do to your ship, anyway?" Phasma asks, curiously.

"I'm afraid that will have to remain confidential, Captain. Every time information changes hands it becomes a risk. I believe it is possible that the rebels have spies in our ranks. By ensuring that information changes hands as few times as possible, I minimize the likelihood that the rebels will discover our plans."

"Getting paranoid in your old age, Thrawn?" Phasma inquires.

"A healthy dose of paranoia is crucial for any decent military commander, Captain. Do you disagree?" Thrawn asks, turning to face Phasma.

"I think trust in your men is also necessary." Phasma replies

"An interesting perspective, Captain." Thrawn observes. "Also unexpected. Were you not the commanding officer of the stormtrooper that went rogue, and assisted in the destruction of Starkiller Base?"

Phasma does not say anything. Thrawn turns back to the viewport.

"I trust in people as far as I can understand them, Captain. But, no further than that."

"Grand Admiral." An officer says. "General Hux is hailing you."

"Patch him through."

A hologram of Armitage Hux appears on the bridge.

"The preparations you requested have been completed." Hux says with annoyance.

"Thank you, General Hux."

"I still don't think this will work." Hux says skeptically

"And if it does not we have lost little. However, the rebels are creatures of habit. Where they have found success before, they will try again. We can take advantage of that." Thrawn explains.

"We shall see," Hux says, skeptically.

"Indeed we shall." Thrawn seems to say it more to himself than Hux.

Moments later, the Resistance fleet drops out of hyperspace.

"There you are." Thrawn says with a slight smile. He turns to an officer. "Engage defenses."

The First Order 's star destroyers unleash a hail of laserfire on the Resistance fleet. As this happens a swarm of TIE fighters stream out from the destroyers, advancing on the enemy fleet. The Resistance ships return fire with their own turbo lasers, as their much smaller group of X-wings fly out to meet the TIE fighters. For a moment it is just the silent, dead space between the two groups. Then, all of the fighters close the distance. Laser fire shreds the front lines of both groups, and the two clouds of starfighters mix, in a storm of laserbolts and carnage.

***

The Raddus

Leia watches the destruction, disturbed.

"Their forces have gathered even further than in the last attack." Ackbar observes.

"Let's do what we came for and leave. I don't want to lose all my fighters on a raid." Leia says.

She winces as more fighters explode into debris.

"I've got a bad feeling about this..." She says quietly.