Nine - Moving Rocks

Crait

Poe calls out his farewells to the crowd of pilots and resistance fighters. The crowd disperses, and Poe strides away. He walks with a spring in his step, moving down one of the bases main white hallways.

"Dameron." A stern voice calls out behind.

Poe stops in his tracks. He cringes, and turns to see Leia standing there. Her eyes are stony. Her expression, tight.

"I don't suppose you're gonna congratulate me on a successful mission?" He asks, hopefully.

"No," She says.

"Thought so..." He says, eyes downcast. "Ackbar tell you what happened during the battle?"

"Yes, because he's a good soldier."

"Then you know it was hopeless!" Poe excalimes. "They were dying out there!"

"You had orders, Poe. You were to make sure those shuttles made it out safely."

"And once I did that, I made sure we didn't lose every X-wing pilot we have!"

"Maybe disobeying orders worked out, today." Leia admits. "Next time, what if we lose a battle because you thought you knew better than your commanding officer? Or, what if you get yourself or your men killed?"

"With respect, General, this is what I do. I'm a pilot. I hop in an X-wing and blow stuff up. And you might call me reckless, but no one here knows how to operated one of those fighters better than I do. So yes, sometimes I ignore orders, and take risks. But if I do, it's only because I'm trying my best to take down the First Order, and make sure my men make it out alive."

"Do you even realize what effect you have on these people?" Leia asks, shaking her head. "Every one of them looks up to you as a hero. If you get killed doing something stupid, It'll crush them. I can't...we can't afford to take a loss like that."

Poe doesn't reply. Leia looks at him sadly.

"I don't...I don't want to lose another hotheaded pilot. Until further notice you're suspended."

She turns and walks away. Poe leans against the wall and sighs.

***

Ahch-to

Rey stands in the circle, waiting. Luke stares back, stance casual. Chewbacca walks up and hands Luke a bag.

"Thanks Chewie."

Luke opens up the bag and empties the contents of the bag on the ground. Three metal spheres, with openings and diodes on them, roll out. Luke picks one up and examines it.

"These are training remotes. This," He indicates the one he's holding. "Is the same one I used when I was first learning the force. I had Chewie make a couple more."

"What does it do?" Rey asks.

"It's going to shoot blaster bolts at you and you're going to have to block them."

"WHAT?"

"They're non lethal blaster bolts, don't worry." Luke reassures.

Rey relaxes a bit.

"Wait do they still hurt?" She asks.

"Oh, very much." Luke confirms.

Alongside the remotes is a small handheld device. Luke picks it up and presses the button on its front. All three of the remotes spring to life, and hover up into the air in front of Luke.

"I'm not so sure about this..." Rey says, uncertain.

"Do you wanna learn how to use that lightsaber?"