Twenty

The Supremacy

Snoke walks around his cracked throne room. Rey leans against a wall, looking bored. Thrawn, Hux, and Phasma stand off to the side.

"You failed to get them..." Snoke says.

"I'll kill them the next time." She says, simply.

Snoke looks like he wants to object, but shakes his head.

"No...no you're right. This is a victory. The resistance fleet is depleted, and the soul of Sidious has returned!"

"I do not wish to spoil your moment Supreme Leader..." Thrawn interjects.

"Yes?" Snoke replies, narrowing his eyes.

"Well as it happens our fleet is depleted as well." Thrawn explains.

"Stormtrooper and pilot numbers are low." Phasma puts in. "At this rate we won't be able to hold onto what territory we have."

"I am sensing a suggestion?" Snoke asks.

"You are correct." Thrawn confirms. "I have a number of plans to replenish our forces..."

"Conscription?" Hux asks.

"We do not maintain enough control over planets to organize a big enough conscription." Thawn says. "And just as well. I do not think throwing more stormtroopers at the problem is the answer..."

Phasma looks down.

"No, the plans I have are a good deal more...unorthodox." Thrawn says.

"I will hear them in time." Snoke says. "But right now-"

Ador Ren stumbles into the room. He looks across at Rey. He glares at her.

"Ador." Snoke says, sighing. "What is it?"

"Master!" Ador cries. "She is too dangerous! You cannot allow her to live!"

Snoke smiles bemused.

"And why is that?"

"She will grow too strong for you." Ador explains. "Eventually she will turn on you and take the First Order for herself!"

Snoke laughs. Ador looks at him confused.

"When such a time comes..." Snoke looks over at Rey. "...I will welcome it."

"But I was to be your apprentice!" Ador exclaimes. "First Kylo, now her! It should be me! I was meant for greatness!"

Snoke chuckles.

"You were a pawn at best Ador. Do not oversell yourself."

Ador grits his teeth in anger.

"Why don't we solve this the easy way?" Rey suggests walking over to Ador.

He steps back.

"...strike me down." She says.

"Wh...what?" Ador stammers.

"Try your best to kill me now. If you succeed then all of your problems will be solved, right?" Rey reasons.

Despite the words, she looks at him with a predatory gaze. Ador heitates. Then he throws out a hand. One of the Praetorian guard's swords flies into his hand. He swings at Rey. She activates her lightsaber, knocks the weapon aside, then stabs ador through the chest. He gasps. Rey tears the lightsaber out, and he falls to the ground. Dead.

"See?" Rey says. "The easy way."

***

"What happened!?" Finn demands.