Eight - A Distraction Called Sight

Crait

The corvette touches down inside the hangar. The landing pads drop down with a hiss and Resistance fighters pour out. Among them is Finn. He takes a wincing stride away from the ship. Rose walks out after him. She bits her lip, hesitant.

"Um...Finn!" She calls after him.

He turns, eyeing her curiously.

"I uh...I didn't know about the...stormtrooper thing..." She says, with uncertainty. "I'm still not sure how I feel about that but...uh thanks for saving me back there. I'll tell Ackbar what you did."

Finn stares back for several seconds, then nods slowly. He turns and walks away.

Across the hangar, Poe's X-wing pops open, and he climbs out. He is met with a crowd of cheering pilots. Poe grins, and accepts the handshakes and hugs they offer. Finn cracks a smile at the display but doesn't approach. Instead he walks further into the base.

He passes down several white hallways, before coming to a door. It opens admitting him to a small, dark room, with a bed. The door closes behind him and he sits down on the bed. He sits in the dark room. After a moment. He slowly reaches up to his collar, and pulls it down. There, tattooed on his chest, is "FN-2187".

He stares at the collection of letters and numbers, unblinking. Suddenly, there is a pinging from Finn's commlink. He lets go of the the shirt collar, and activates the commlink. An image of Rey appears.

"Hey Finn," She says with a smile.

"Hey Rey," He replies, putting on a smile himself. "You alright? Last time we talked, sounded like you were gonna do something nuts."

"Yeah..." Rey says sheepishly. "That wasn't a great idea..." Her eyes light up suddenly. "But long story short, Luke is training me now!"

"Really? That's great!" Finn says.

"Yeah. It is kinda slow going, though. I don't think he trusts me very much...but I do think he's really trying to help me! Luke wasn't exactly what I expected, but now I think maybe that's okay. He isn't the hero he used to be but I think a part of him might still want to be. I don't know. I just have to keep training, and learn what I can."

"Well whatever happens, I think you'll make a great Jedi." Finn says.

Rey smiles. "Thanks Finn."

He shrugs.

"So how are things with the Resistance? The war going any better?"

Finn hesitates. "...I was actually just in a battle."

"Really?" Rey asks, with interest.

"Just as a medic..." Finn's voice trails off.

"What? Did something happen?" Rey asks.

Finn doesn't reply at first.

"Finn..." Rey prods.

"...Kylo Ren was there." Finn eventually says.

"What!?" Rey exclaims.

"I'm fine!" Finn says quickly. "At least better than the last time I met him..."

"What happened?" She asks, seriously.

"It was at the end of the battle. We were leaving, when he grabbed me and dragged me around with the force. I was helpless, he could have killed me but...he hesitated."

"Hesitated?" Rey says, confused.

"He said that he hadn't decided to kill me or not yet...because of you."