Fourteen - Storming the Supremacy

Crait

Resistance fighters pile onto their ships in a mass exodus of the base.

Rey Finn, Chewbacca and Lorn climb aboard the Millenium Falcon.

Luke jumps in his X-wing. Poe into his.

Finally, Ackbar and his command staff board the Raddus. Leia is the last to leave, shooting one last look at the Crait base before turning to enter the ship.

One by one, the Resistance ships fly out the melted hole in the hangar doors. The small fleet flies out into the skies above Crait. It grows dark, as they pass the atmosphere. Stars begin to twinkle into existence.

Then, they are in orbit. The First Order is waiting for them.

***

The Chimera

"Pull in our destroyers around then, and have the interdictors engage gravity-wells." Thrawn orders. "The Rebels cannot be given a path to escape. Leave only an open space in front of the Supremacy. We need a line of fire with the cannons."

The ships move in towards the Resistance fleet, creating a semicircle around them. The Supremacy sits in the middle, looming over them.

"...send in the TIEs."

***

The Raddus

"Keep all our ships moving!" Ackbar orders. "Spread out, and don't become an easy target! X-wings, guide the way for Skywalker and the Falcon!"

The X-wings fan out in a V formation, with Poe at the tip. Luke's X-wing flies just beside. A swarm of TIE fighters race out to meet them.

"Alright Poe, let's see if you're as good a pilot as they say..." Luke says over the comm.

"Let's see, Skywalker!" Poe replies.

The X-wings and the TIE fighters open fire. Red and Green bolts sail towards each other. Luke and Poe pivot their fighters to avoid the blasts. Poe blasts a TIE fighter to bits. Luke ducks his X-wing down to avoid colliding with a TIE.

"Seems I'm a little rusty." Like says, narrowly dodging a laserbolt.

"Just stay with the pack and we'll keep you alive. Isn't that right, guys?"

There is a chorus of: "Roger that!"

***

The Chimera

"He's going for the Supremacy." Thrawn concludes.

"He's what?" Hux says over the commlink.

"They are going to attempt to get Luke Skywalker onboard our capital ship. I'm quite certain of it."

"They'll never make it through our gauntlet." Hux insists. "It would be a suicide mission."

"They are rebels." Thrawn says. "It's always a suicide mission. Have all our fighters focus on taking down that older model X-wing towards the front. We cannot allow it to get onboard the Supremacy."

***

TIE fighters race towards Luke's X-wing, proceeded by a hail of green bolts. Luke struggles to weave his ship around the endless volley of laserfire.

"Just like old times huh R2?" Luke says.

R2 beeps dramatically.

"Yeah I don't remember there being this many either..."

Luke's X-wing takes a gazing blow on the side of its armor,, exposing electronic innards. R2 immediately sets to work, repairing the damage.

"Doing alright over there?" Poe ask, flipping his X-wing around to blow-up a pair of TIEs that were headed for Luke.