7

amara rahman

"aw." bri frowns, rubbing my shoulder.

"wait. so what happened between you two again?" ravyn asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

"she liked him. he didn't like her back. it's just a mess from there on." bri tells her while i sat there, pretending that she was telling the truth.

"oh. really?" she questions. "i mean, i thought he said he liked you—"

"he didn't." i cut off. "and that's that."

i look down at my lunch, feeling sick to my stomach. not only did our presentation go to shit this morning, but i've been feeling like crap all day.

we all forgot our lines, and it was just embarrassing to think about it. i wouldn't doubt it if our teacher fails us. i would, too.

"you okay, amara? you look a little sick."

"i'm fine." i murmur, taking in a deep breath.

"amara." i hear a familiar voice call as he approaches me.

i look up at nate, bri's eyes widening. "what?"

"guess what we got on our presentation!"

i take a sharp breath, hunching over the table. "oh my god." i stand from my seat, leaving my friends and running out of the cafeteria with my palm covering the waterfall of bile threatening to spill out.

distracted by my current state, i bump into a rock hard chest. i flinch, looking up at jack who glared at me.

i open my mouth to apologize, but something else came out instead, and it wasn't words.

+

i look over at the window before looking back at javi, who had one hand on the wheel and the other out the window.

i sigh, leaning back in my seat. i watch as javi reaches back and grabs a can of sprite for me, tossing it on my lap before driving again. "here."

"thanks." i mutter.

i'm sure javi began to talk again, but i could barely pay attention.

all i could think about was the aftermath. everyone surely saw everything. and jack's expression with this morning's breakfast on him..oh my god.

i frown, rubbing my eyes. "fuck."

"don't stress it." javi says. "people throw up. not a big deal."

"i threw up on jack." i say. "pathetic."

"you are pathetic." he shrugs, "but this one wasn't your fault."

"thanks." i smile sarcastically, feeling my stomach bubbling up again.

"what do you think you ate?" javi asks curiously.

"probably the pasta dad made last night."

"i feel fine." he shrugs.

"oh."

we arrive home and my mom jumps out of the house like the overdramatic mother she is. "what happened?"

"i just threw up at school." i murmur as she cups my cheeks.

"oh." she coos, "let me take you upstairs and just rest, okay?"

before i could object, she drags me up the stairs and lays me in my bed, covering me with a blanket. "close your eyes. i don't wanna see you on your phone."

"what does being on my phone have to do with my stomach hurting—"

"sh." she interrupts, before closing the door.

i roll my eyes, staring up at the ceiling and feeling a hard urge to pick up my phone.

an hour passed, and as hard as i tried, i just couldn't sleep. naps are not my thing.

i heard the garage rumble beneath me and realized my mom had left. to check, i rolled out of bed and peeked through the curtains, confirming that it indeed was my mother.

i was quick to grab my phone, turning it on. messages from bri flooded my inbox, and even cj.

i wanted to apologize to jack. i felt bad for puking on him, even if it wasn't in my control and even if he's an asshole.

though, after all of that, my biggest issue was how everything was gonna go down tomorrow. because, as dramatic as it seems, i'm incredibly embarrassed. and already being socially awkward enough, it's gonna make matters worse.

i sigh, clicking on bri's contact, followed by the facetime option.

bri's face appears, and i cringe at mine, moving it away from my face. "amara? you alright?"

"yeah."

another head pops in, "how you doing, amara?"

i slightly clench my jaw at the sight of cj, looking away from my phone. "i'm alright."

"want me to come over?" bri frowns. "i'll bring you noodles or something."

"it's fine, bri."

she huffs, "alright. well, let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"same here." cj agrees.

"thanks, bri."

jack gilinsky

"bro!" sam bursts out into laughter, banging his hand on the table dramatically. "that was the highlight of my month, seriously."

"you're so funny." i mutter, wiping my body with a towel.

"are you okay, jack?" i hear meredith call.

"once again." johnson says, "this is the boys locker room, meredith."

she doesn't budge as she enters the locker room, approaching me. "oh, god. you look terrible."

"thanks, meredith."

she frowns, "sorry."

i sigh, leaning against the lockers. she rubs my shoulders comfortingly, "want me to bring you some clothes, babe?"

i chew on my lip. i was supposed to head to the hospital now and just skip the rest of the day.

the only reason i even came today was for amara and her stupid english grade.

i look at meredith, specifically her lips.

"go." i tell the guys without looking away from her.

as their footsteps disappear, i graze my fingers over her cheek, slowly leaning in and connecting our lips.

she gasps lightly before taking immediate action and locking her arms around my neck.

"let's go back to my place."

***
i don't even realize how short these chapters are until i proofread them lmao

thoughts? who's your fav character? what do you think went down between cj and amara?