13

amara rahman

"did you hear?"

"what?" i frown at ravyn, slipping into my seat. it was finally the last period of the day, and i couldn't feel more relieved.

"jack gilinsky got in a fight."

my eyes widen, "what? with who?"

"with some guy that supposedly meredith was messing around with." she explains. "i don't really know, to be honest. but he could get suspended."

"he won't be able to play if he gets suspended.." i murmur, looking down.

after anxiously waiting for the period to pass, i hop out of my seat and walk down the hallway, peeking in the office.

and there he was. his body leaned on the wall next to the principals office and he had that blank expression he always has.

i decided against going in there. who am i to console him, anyway?

but..he was lonely. his 'friends' weren't with him. maybe i should..

"since gilinsky's suspended," i hear cj say from behind me. "you should wear my jersey."

"i'd rather die." i snap, pushing past him and out the doors.

"maybe if you stopped being like this and gave me a chance, we could work this out." he calls, but i shake my head and continue walking.

the trek to the diner sucked, partly because i felt guilty for not going in there and asking if jack's alright. maybe i am someone to him. i mean, he gave me his jersey. that should mean something.

"thanks for covering for me." maria smiles. "just a few hours, okay? i'll be back."

"of course." i nod. not like i had a choice, anyway.

after serving a few tables, i surf for my phone in my backpack and turn it on, going to snapchat.

i scroll down a bit, and my eyes catch a particular snap. i click on it, the image enlarging and becoming a video.

it was of jack, and some other guy who i've seen a few times at school. they threw a few punches, eventually making it to the ground.

i'll never understand how people can just break out into fights in the hallway. are you people not scared of getting caught?

"derek." i call, turning around. "is jack suspended?"

"why do you wanna know?" he smirks, approaching me.

"because i'm curious."

he rolls his eyes, "no. but he's not gonna play anyway, he failed his math test."

i frown, "wait, really?"

i forgot i was supposed to go see his results with him.

and then i remember what he told me.

"since you played a big part in this, maybe you wanna see what i got. besides, if i fail, i feel like you're good at consoling."

i texted bri that i wasn't going to the game, and i made my way home.

"javi, what's the gilinsky's address?"

he squints at me, "why?"

"i have to talk to their son. we have a project together."

"they live like, five minutes away. figure it out yourself."

i roll my eyes, "shut up and tell me."