23

jack gilinsky

i took my time driving home, even though it was one in the morning. maybe i should've driven faster, if i knew my parents were home.

"where the hell where you?" my mom bombards me as soon as i enter the house, and my eyes widen.

"who told you that you were allowed to stay this late?"

i look at the two of them, thinking of something. "i was at johnson's. we hung out most of the day, and his mom offered dinner."

"dinner was three hours ago." my mom deadpans, "don't use your brain too much, just admit it."

"admit what?!"

"that you were doing something bad!"

i raise my eyebrows at her, "seriously, mom?"

"and what about football?" my dad asks, "when was the last time you attended a practice?"

"yesterday." i lie, keeping a straight face. he reacts quickly, snatching my wrist and pulling me towards him.

"lies! you haven't been to practice in a week! you're a team captain, jack. you can't just attend when you feel like it."

before i could respond, a familiar voice interrupts us. "oh come on, david. let go of my grandson."

he immediately lets go, and i turn to my grandma, who stood before us. "grandma." i murmur, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion. "when did you get here?"

"this afternoon." my mom answers for her, "and she stayed up all day so she can see you, despite being jet lagged."

and then, the guilt settled in. maybe i would've even felt the urge to cry, if i hadn't accidentally cried all the tears i could possibly cry with amara.

she smiles softly, "it's alright, hun. i'm sure you had a good reason to be this late."

"dinner with jack johnson, apparently." my dad says, "which is weird, considering he came here an hour ago looking for you."

i bite my lip, and my grandma frowns. "leave him alone. you two should go to bed."

my mom leaves without a fight, not wanting to fight with her mother-in-law so late at night, and my dad hesitates before leaving too.

"i'm sorry." i apologize sincerely, "if..if knew you were gonna be here, i would've came sooner."

she grins, holding on to my shoulder as she waddles to the couch, "it's okay, jack. now, help me sit down."

i didn't want to mention it, but she looked..weaker. her skin was paler, and bags started to form underneath her eyes. i couldn't help but think of the worst.

"what brings you here?" i ask.

"i wanted to visit you and your siblings. you know, your parents never told me about rafael until last week."

"oh, wow." i murmur, "i wonder why." maybe they're like me.

"so, yeah, i came here as soon as i could." she smiles softly, "i haven't seen you in a while, you're growing up. what grade are you in again?"

"eleventh." i reply politely.

she raises her eyebrows, "my goodness, you're graduating next year. i still remember when i had to physically drag you to school the entire year in third grade."

my cheeks burn, "oh, let's not mention that."

she smirks, patting my back. "so, as much as i respect your privacy, i'm curious about where you've been."