53

amara rahman

ten o'clock rolled by, and i was still pacing around in my room. i felt like an idiot, but more nervous.

for jack. i kept telling myself, before opening my bedroom door and heading into the room across the hall.

his light was still on, so i knew he was awake and probably playing some video game. i knock lightly, before slowly opening it.

he'd been laying in bed, scrolling through something on his phone. he looks over at me, and raises his eyebrows. "yes?"

"i need a favor." i admit, walking further inside and catching his usual scent.

"and what makes you think i owe you one?"

"i've done a lot for you." i point out.

"doesn't mean anything, i've done a lot for you too."

"so can you do this one thing for me?"

he gives me a skeptical look, "no."

"javi." i sigh. "please. just this once, and then you can go back to whatever. i'll work your shifts for you, i'll help you with your girlfriend, anything."

"first off, i want you to stop being an asshole to everyone." he says, and i bite my tongue.

"is that all?"

"and yes, i need your help with hailee. you'll help me with whatever i want for the next like, year."

"fuck you." i scoff. "i'm not your servant."

"fuck you." he mocks, sitting back. "guess who's not getting help."

i grit my teeth, crossing my arms. "okay, fine. whatever. i'll do anything."

"alright." he shrugs. "what do you need, anyway?"

+

"you're crazy." he repeats, "seriously."

"can you just park in the driveway? i need to get him."

i open the car door, approaching the gilinsky residence and knocking on the door. jack opens the door, as expected, looking as if he was ready to go to bed. "hey, what's up?"

"get ready." i tell him, walking inside. "go pack."

he raises his eyebrows, "what? for what?"

"i'm taking you to new york."

he rubs his eyes, furrowing his brows at me. "what? you can't. my grandma isn't letting me—"

"you can go." we hear her say, as she walks up to us. "but i want you to be safe."

his jaw drops, and he takes a step back. "is this a joke? you're actually letting me go?"

"go pack!" she urges, pushing him up the stairs. then, she turns to me. "how long will you guys be?"

"we'll be back in a few days. my brother is helping us and he has a friend that lives there."

"how are your parents letting you go?" she asks curiously.

"my brother handled that, too." i inform. "we'll be fine, mrs.gilinsky."

jack jogs down the stairs with a big smile on his face, placing a kiss on his grandma's cheek. "bye." she smiles warmly at him. "have fun, you two."

javi had been waiting with an annoyed look on his face when we got inside, "you seriously owe me big time, amara. and there's no way i'm driving the whole ten hours."