Chapter 11

I sat down on one of the beds in the medical bay by the cortex where Caitlin was currently seeing what happened to my voice. She stepped back with a confused look on her face. I picked up the notebook and pencil that she had given to talk to people with and began writing.

'Any luck?' I wrote.

"No, I'm sorry Ella. Your vocal cords have been destroyed. There's nothing I can do. Would you like me to see if Cisco and Harrison can think of anything?" Caitlin asked.

'Yes, please.' I replied.

Caitlin walked out towards Cisco and Harrison in the other room. Barry then ran into the cortex and began talking to Caitlin. I saw his hopeful expression drop as he looked towards me. I gave him a small wave with a fake smile. He walked up to me and brought me into a hug. I buried my face into his shoulder as I let my tears fall.

"Hey, it's okay. It's going to be okay." He whispered to me comfortingly.

Once he released me I grabbed my notebook and began to write.

'I'm sorry.' I replied.

"What have you done to have to apologize?" He asked.

I wiped a tear from my eye and began to write a reply.

'I should've waited for you before I confronted her. Now I've ruined our date night.' I replied.

"Ella, there is nothing that could ruin date night for me. As long as I'm spending time with you nothing could ruin it." He explained.

I smiled at him as a slight blush rose to my cheeks.

"Come here." He continued.

I scooted closer to him as he brought me into another hug. I leaned my head onto his shoulder as he leaned his into my hair.

"We'll find a way to get your voice back, don't worry." He whispered.

We stayed there for a little while until I heard someone clear their throat as they walked in.

"Yes, Cisco?" Barry greeted lifting his head not moving from me.

"I think I might have found a temporary solution to what Sirena's powers did to Ella," Cisco replied.

"What did you have in mind?" Barry asked.

"Well, with some help from Harrison, I was able to build a thought transmitter," Cisco explained.

I turned my head to face Cisco curious what his device was. He held up a small circular metal disk in his fingertips.

"This little buddy can read the electrical patterns that the brain transmits and turns it into speak emitted by a small yet powerful speaker. It uses a similar adhesive found in band-aids to stick onto the skin behind your ear." Cisco explained as he handed it over to me.

I took it in my hand struggling to figure out how to put it on. Barry then let go of me and held out his hand.

"Want some help?" Barry offered.

I sighed silently and gave up handing him the transmitter. He reached out and tucked some of my hair out of the way and peeled back the clear plastic and gently pressed it behind my ear.

"Think about what you want to say, Ella. It should be working." Cisco explained.

'Ok, umm, let me think.' I thought.

I heard the echo of my thoughts coming out of the speaker overjoyed I started jumping up and down.

'This is so cool! Thank you, Cisco!' I thought.

"You're welcome, Ella. Don't worry Caitlin and I are working on a way for you to get your real voice back. This is hopefully only temporary." Cisco replied.

'Still, thank you. I was worried I would have to deal with my hand hurting from writing to communicate.' I explained.

"Anyway, I'm going to get back to trying to figure out how to get your voice back. See you two later." Cisco replied.

"See you later Cisco," Barry replied.

Cisco walked out of the medical bay leaving Barry and I alone. I looked up at Barry smiling.

"So, you still feeling up for our date tonight?" Barry asked.

'Yeah. How should I dress, casual or Fancy?' I replied.

"You'll look fine in whatever you choose to wear," Barry exclaimed.

'Please, Barry? I don't want to look out of place.' I replied.

"How about this, I'll tell Caitlin and my friend Iris where I'm taking you and they'll help you find an outfit. Deal?" Barry suggested.

'Fine, deal.' I replied.

"I've got to go check on a few things for the date. I'll pick you up at seven?" Barry explained.

I looked at the clock to see that it was around four.

'Alright, I'll see you then.' I replied.

Barry then leaned in towards me and kissed me on the cheek.

"I'll see you at seven," Barry replied.

Barry then ran off leaving me blushing in the medical bay.