2- A New Alternative

Three months. That's how long I've kept my mates existence a secret. It's been torment to pretend she doesn't exist when I'm not around her...and those occasions I can be with her are rare, as in twice a week for just an hour each rare.

Sapphira works at a local animal shelter six days a week, and has an hour break for lunch each day. However, due to my packs rules, I only have a couple hours a week for free time off the pack land...and I can't risk being late, or I'd lose that little time as a punishment.

~Who is he to tell us where we can go? And to keep us from seeing our mate?~

Ares growls angrily, and I have to mute the sound considering that I'm currently in the Alphas office along with Maka and all twelve other Omegas. Any form of aggression towards a higher ranked wolf is met with strict discipline...and I can't risk anything right now.

"The Alpha and Luna of the Dusk Howlers pack are going to be visiting two days from now. I want this place spotless by then, and the day they arrive, for all of you to be out of the pack house until they leave. I don't care where you go as long as you're back by 6 pm the next day. Am I understood?"

"Yes Alpha."

We all say at once, the words bitter on my tongue as I say them with false respect. I have to be honest though, forcing us out of the house during that meeting is really a bit of mercy. The Dusk Howlers pack are one of the ones that actually mistreat and abuse their Omegas...us being in their presence would put us in their striking distance...and Alpha Samson wouldn't be able to stop them even if he wanted to.

"You are dismissed."

We bow our heads and begin to exit quietly, a tired look on the others faces.

"Kane. You stay, I need to speak with you for a moment."

I halt in my tracks, catching a glimpse of Maka's worried face before it disappears out the door. I turn around to face him slowly, keeping my face blank despite the chaotic, fearful thoughts whirling behind it.

Does he know about Sapphira? How could he? I've been completely certain to not change my behavior or say a word about her. The only person I told was Maka, but she'd never rat me out. Could someone have seen us eating lunch together? Is that what gave it away?

"Kane, I was wondering if you had found your mate yet?"

My body runs cold at his question, and for the first time...I'm actually going to do the unthinkable...lie.

"No sir, not yet."

My voice thankfully remains normal, but internally I'm petrified. What if this was a test? What if he knows Sapphira is my mate and he was seeing if I would tell the truth?

The five seconds between my answer and his grunt in response feels like a lifetime, ticking by agonizingly slow.

"Perhaps you should consider taking Maka as your mate, you aren't getting any younger, and you two seem close."

~No offense to the she wolf, but hell no!~ Ares yells angrily.

I bite back yet another growl, swallowing hard before trying to speak again.

"I'll consider that."

I feel like I'm going to be physically sick, me? Mate with Maka? Hell no! She's practically my sister! Blood or not it would still be like incest! Not to forget I already have a mate! I try to shake the image out of my head so I don't end up hurling on the Alphas feet. That would be far from good for me.

"Good. You are dismissed."

I nod and walk out the door as normally as possible, considering I'm fighting the urge to sprint out as fast as possible. There has never been a moment before now that I've wanted to get as far from him as possible. I've broken two rules since meeting my mate, and told two lies in one day, I keep this up for too long and I'm really gonna be screwed.