5

5

//

She would come into the shop often to stop by and talk to me. I found it funny every time I would speak to her, but she would either reply with one-word sentences or give me a displeasing look. She wouldn't reply to my burning questions to her, nor speak of them. She was very secretive, but some day I have to just crack her open.

I came down my stairs one night to get myself a cup of coffee since I wasn't tired and it was the weekend. I waited for the coffeemaker to finish brewing, glancing around the dark record shop. I saw something move near the door and I made a face. Did something fall? I wasn't so sure. I held onto my coffee and then walked to the light switch, flipping it open. She was there, sitting beside the entrance.

I almost dropped my coffee in utter disbelief. "Ar-"

"Shhh!" She immediately stood up and covered my mouth with her small hand as I muffled out her name. I looked at her and her tired eyes, barely open. She seemed worried. "I'm just here for tonight, to rest. Is that too much of a problem?"

I wondered why she was camping out here and not at her place with her grandma, which she told once she was living with. She slowly uncovered my mouth after a minute. I didn't hesitate when I asked, "What the hell are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be with your grandma?"

"She uh, died.." She spoke in a whisper. "I'm by myself now, but that's not my main concern."

"That's not your main concern?" I repeated. I honestly felt bad for her, but I didn't know what to do.

"It's not. I just want a good sleep tonight, alright? I won't bother you anymore so you can just go back to bed." She sighed, running her hand through her long and black hair. "Just ignore me like everyone else does."

"You're not bothering me at all. Are you sure you don't want to sleep in with me upstairs?"

"I-I shouldn't-"

"It's fine." I chuckled at her shyness, assuring her that it was no big deal. But I insisted. "Come on." I whispered back and took her upstairs. I had to make a move, didn't I? It was hard enough to get her to talk to me- that took weeks, nearly a month. I smirked to myself at the foolish way of getting her in bed with me.

I glanced around my room, the room gloomy and shadowy because it was the middle of the night. I walked to my bed, giving her some space next to my spot and sharing the blanket equally. I didn't see her presence near me so I turned around. I saw her grabbing an extra pillow off my bed and dropping the cushion on the floor, indicating that that was where she would sleep tonight.

I frowned. I wanted her to sleep beside me. I knew I couldn't get too far with her but I thought I had a chance. Of course, other girls would freak out and agree to the opportunity of sleeping beside me, but not her.

"Do you have an extra blanket?" She croaked out in the silence.

"Uh, yeah," I said and searched for one. I really didn't, but I wanted her satisfied. I gave her my blanket instead and handed it to her. She mumbled her thanks and laid down on the creaked wooden floor. I got on my bed, spreading my legs out and staring up at the ceiling with my hands folded across my chest. I had a million questions to ask her, since now felt like the perfect time to. "What happened to your grandma?"

"Heart attack?" She answered in more of a question. "That's what the doctor said, I guess."

I nodded. "Where are you gonna go now?"

"Do you know that bakery place across the street?"

"Yeah."

"I'll just start working there from now on. I'll make money and I'll be able to get stuff for what I need."

"Need for living?" I asked her.

"What else?" She scoffed. "I know the woman who works there so she can help me out."

I nodded again and I tried to think of a better question to ask, but she beat me to it. "Why are you living here all by yourself and not with your parents?" She asked me confidently. She was the first.

I licked my slightly chapped lips, debating whether to answer her question or not. "I ran away from them." I spoke. "I couldn't put up with their shit so I decided to find a place to stay and a way to have some money... so here I am."

She didn't speak after a minute.

"What about you?"

"Yeah, that's a question I will never answer." I heard her shifting to her side with the blanket. "Let's just sleep now."

"But-"

"Goodnight."

So she left the conversation hanging in a matter of seconds. There must've been a reason for her to answer like that but I didn't bother as I yawned. I breathed slowly and shut my eyes.

"Night."