6

6

//

During class, I was allowed to ask her at least two questions a day. And since I wanted to know more about her and her thoughts, the questions had to be pretty interesting.

Do you like the New York weather? I wrote out the question in a piece of paper and carefully handed it to her during computer literacy class.

This was almost like a routine: Me writing the question out and her answering with descriptive detail of her opinion. I wanted to see how she felt about the world and her living in it. We were two different people who happen to stand before each other every day.

She flipped her hair to the right of her shoulder before opening the note. She glanced up at me with a light smirk on her face, probably finding my unnecessary questions idiotic. She wrote her answer for a while and then passed it to me back.

While the temperature ranges from 80-100 degree weather, it's not the heat that bothers me but rather the humidity that causes my hair to be all frizzy and grow like an afro. I'm not even fucking kidding.

I snorted at the comment. She actually had some sense of humor that she kept hidden from everyone else. I wrote out another question. What are your thoughts on the government?

As she read the question, her small smile faded slowly. She inhaled a quick breath before using her pen to reply back.

There's not much to say.

And for the first time doing these questions, that was the only question that she shut her mouth about.

//

I walked quickly to my way back home once school ended. There was a drugstore beside the record shop, and I suddenly had the urge to smoke. Though I tinkered the thought of quitting, the feeling of the nicotine rushing into my lungs never felt so good. Afternoon coffee and a cigarette also go amazing together so that made me crave for one even more. I placed the pack of cigarettes and a lighter on the counter and paid the lady, not even looking at her. I gave her my thanks and left the store. I grabbed the lighter on one hand and took a cig from the pack, lighting it up in one swift movement.

I watched my surroundings as I took another puff, exhaling all of the air into my lungs and through my nose. I turned to look across the street and saw the bakery that Aria told me she would be working at. I decided to give the bakery place a try and began walking. Maybe it wasn't going to be bad. I pushed the door open, seeing Aria at the register and raising an eyebrow.

"There's no smoking allowed inside the shop, Zayn." She eyed at me.

I took the cigarette out of my mouth and held it between my two fingers. "I'm only here for a little while." I chuckled and leaned against the counter. "I'm here to see you."

"You have ten seconds to buy something before I kick you out."

"Alright, alright. Um.." I glanced at every bread and pastry that was out in the open, making my stomach grumble for a taste. "I'll just take those uh, blueberry muffins."

"You want the ten piece?"

"I guess so, yeah."

"Great," Aria took a moment to bundle the muffins into a box. "That'll be $28.59."

I sighed and pulled my wallet out, handing her cash.

"Do I smell smoke..?" A lady came out from the employee door and then glared at me.

"Yeah he's about to leave actually, Mrs. Jones." Aria gave me the box and then gestured me to the door. "Beat it."

"Oh, are you the one helping Aria out in finding a home?" I asked the lady. I could see Aria widening her eyes but I ignored her.

"I'm letting her work here in my shop in return for living in my house, yes." Mrs. Jones nodded. "Why?"

"Just wondering. I'm letting Aria know that I always have an empty place for her to sleep in, y'know, if she wanted to." My lips curved into a smile. "But I'm glad she's safe with you."

"Thanks. And what's your name?"

"It's Zayn." I told her and then looked at Aria. "I'll be here as often as I can." I joked and placed the cigarette back to my lips. I carried the box with my hand and walked to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow in school, Aria." I waved before heading outside. I walked into the record shop, kicking the door open with my foot.

"Ashton, I got some muffins." I yelled and placed the box in front of him.

"I only eat blueberry muffins because they're my favorite, you know that." Ashton chuckled.

"And that's what I have." I opened the box that laid out ten blueberry muffins.

"Sweet, thanks." He smiled and grabbed one. I did the same and took a bite. "But why the hell did you go in a bakery shop?"

"My friend Aria works there now so I wanted to see her."

"The hot goth chic? You're obsessed with her." He laughed.

"I'm just fascinated by her, that's all. She's so different."

"Different enough to probably be hiding something in her sleeve." Ashton whispered. "Has she told you anything unusual?"

I shook my head. "She hasn't told me much, but I'm dying to find out more." So that's I did- every day after school, I would go in the bakery shop and talk to her as much as I could.

I watched her bake in the kitchen. Mrs. Jones got upset the first time I went in, but did not care anymore. We were behind doors, so it was only us two.

"You look like a fool just staring at me. Might as well take a picture." She chuckled.

"Maybe I should." I shrugged and pulled my phone out.

"Stop it. Don't!" She laughed and grabbed the phone from my hands. "You're so immature." She rolled her eyes and gave me my phone back.

"I bet a gorgeous girl like you has had dozens of boyfriends. Am I right?" I blurted.

"I don't pay attention to them. They try to work something on me, but there are lots of stuff in my mind I need to focus on."

"Have you had any, though?"

"Only a couple." She murmured. "Guys in school think I'm some freak, so they don't bother."

I was willing to change her state of mind. "So, are you doing anything tomorrow night?" I spoke out, wondering if asking her out was the right choice.

"A-A date?" She turned to me after she put the pan in the oven.

"If you want to call it that, yeah."

Her big brown eyes stared at mine, biting her lip slightly. I found that incredibly hot and I wanted to just kiss her right there. "Why is it every time I try to push you out of my life you always come back?" She looked curious with her eyebrows furrowed, but also cute.

"You're one of those girls I want to find out more about. You intrigue me." I laughed a little at my words. "You're like an addiction I can't seem to let go of."

"I'm trouble, Zayn. You don't have to do this.." She breathed. "I'm not an open book."

Funny, we're both troublemakers that have made an impact in this world. I wasn't going to leave her just like that. "Then I can't wait for the trouble we'll both cause together." I reassured her. "So, how about that date?"

Author's Note:

Vote/comment please! ily

-Camille