Hospital - Platonic Moxiety (Past Logicality)

I'm not sick anymore, but if it's not one thing, it's another. There is always something wrong with me, isn't there? I can't even follow an update schedule without something happening. Oh well. hope you enjoy this piece, which is basically how I spent my Wednesday, minus the small amount of fluff in this. It's a human AU, by the way.

TW: Depression, Self harm, Hospitals, Low self-esteem.

Virgil stared at the clock for the umpteenth time while drumming his fingers across the table. The paper bracelet he wore bobbed up and down as his fingers made that sweet thud noise. The room was quiet, with an occasional scream from another room or quiet chattering from the hallway as the nurses took down notes from their patients. This made Virgil feel anxious. Very anxious. He didn't need to be here. He should've never told his therapist. If he didn't, he could've been at home, with access to his headphones and music.

They took it all away until they could make a diagnosis. His phone, headphones, choker necklace, makeup utensils... everything. If he wanted something, he would need to ask his nurse for it, and that would probably make Virgil break down right now. Instead, he was sitting uncomfortably in a chair. the bright lights were giving Virgil a headache as someone appeared in the doorway.

"Hey, Virge. How are you?" Patton gently asked as he sat down in the chair next to Virgil. Seeing his father immediately made Virgil feel a little bit better, considering he hasn't seen him since the car ride here.

"I'm okay, Dad. What about you?"

Patton thought for a moment before giving an answer. "Oh, well... I'm a bit upset that you didn't say anything about these... Thoughts earlier, but I'm just glad that you're going to be okay."

Virgil sighed as Patton said this. It made him feel like some sort of crazy lunatic. "You know I wouldn't follow through... Right?"

Patton was just about to answer when someone else appeared in the hallway.

"Hello, Virgil. Patton." Logan said as he sat down on the opposite side of Virgil, purposefully avoiding his eye contact with Patton. Patton gave Logan a quick glare before he looked the other way too. Virgil could barely breathe when he saw both of his parents in the same room, together. The last time this happened, they were in court, where they both signed the divorce papers.

Hours and hours and hours went by, sitting in an uncomfortable silence with nothing but a glass of water and an anxious mind. Virgil colored with his father and watched TV with his dad. Every so often, he would see one or the other stealing glances, a heartbroken look on their face. Virgil just wanted to get out, quick. Finally, the nurse came.

"Virgil Sanders, correct?" He said, not looking up from the clipboard. He was holding a pair of scrubs, which was required for all patients staying for more than five hours.

"That's m-me."

Virgil stood up and walked over the nurse, Fiddling with his sleeves as he did. Those sleeves were the only thing hiding his shameful secret from his parents.

"You need to change into these. It's protocol." He said, tossing the pile to Virgil. "Need to see you do it too, to make sure you aren't carrying weapons. Dad's of Virgil, can you step out of the room for a moment? We're going to move him to a room with a cot now."

Logan and Patton left the room, Patton lingering a bit longer as he walked out. Virgil made sure they weren't looking through the window before he started changing his clothes. When he took off the long sleeve shirt, it revealed the scars from the scratches that he gave himself. Some were old, faded to the point that it looked slightly darker than his normal skin. Some were newer, with red scabs of blood still on them. He subconsciously hid them as he put on the short sleeved scrubs. The cold tiles hit Virgil's feet as he quickly walked to the new room. He snuggled under the covers right as Patton and Logan walked in, sitting on the opposite sides of the room. The hospital room was a bit cold, as Patton and Logan had a sweater on while waiting for the analysis team to arrive.

All there was to do was wait. Wait, wait, wait. He couldn't talk to either of his parents because of feeling the the other was being left out. He couldn't read the book he brought because of the scars that would be shown if he did. The silence was very awkward for everyone in the room, until Virgil was called.

Once again, he was sent to another room so they could ask him some questions.

"Have you been extremely sad or hopeless within the past two weeks?"
"Yes."
"Do you believe you're not good enough?"
"Yes."
"Have you contemplated suicide?"
"...Yes."
"Have you hurt yourself deliberately?"
"Yes."
"Have you given a thought to your plan."
"Yes."
"Do you feel safe to go home until we get you help?"
"I'll be fine."

After that, the diagnosis was complete. Virgil was allowed to be sent home, but was recommended out of school counseling. He quickly changed into his regular clothes, for the short sleeved shirt made him very exposed. One of the doctors have them a small stack of papers, including a few good counselors near their house. Virgil went with Patton as he left the building with the papers. Patton had full custody over Virgil, which was decided on four months ago.

The drive home was also very awkward, with Patton not being sure how to talk to his little smol bean. Should be just ask, or should he wait for Virgil to start talking? What should he ask, if he should ask anything? What if-

"Dad, I can basically hear you thinking. I'm fine, okay? Don't worry."

Patton snapped out of his daze and looked over at Virgil, his only son. Patton just wanted to protect him from everything, but he knew that wouldn't be good parenting. Patton stretched out his hand and ruffled the boy's dyed purple hair.

"Just know that I love you, okay? I love you so much, and I wouldn't want to see you leave, Kiddo. I wouldn't know what to do without you."

Virgil paused a bit before responding. "I love you too, dad. You know I do."

Patton nodded at his son and went back to actually looking at the road while driving.

"Good. With that mindset, you could defeat anything, kiddo."