The Race (Scout)

Lining the aisles were everything you ever wanted and more. Sodapop to your left, snacks to your right, and the back wall was practically a movie emporium.

Making your way down the aisle with your shopping cart you noticed a heavenly glow coming from around the corner at the end of the aisle. You abandoned your cart to run over and take a peek, and what you saw astounded you. Walking slowly towards the glowing mountain stand up you saw that there was only one can of the glorious Bonk punch left on the shelves next to a beaming Tom Jones cardboard cut out. With wide (e/c) eyes you stared at the awe-inspiring display and almost shed a tear it was so beautiful. A shame you'd end up taking the last can.

"Mine!"

Another voice called out and you were startled to look behind you to see a skinny guy with a backwards baseball cap staring at the Bonk can.

"Oh, no you don't!" You went to reach for the can but the man grabbed the back of your shirt and pulled you back, reaching ahead. You pushed his arm and he elbowed you, and in a flurry of movements you were both holding onto the can of sodapop staring each other down.

"Look toots, I get to go out looking for this thing only once a year, and-"

"Let me stop you right there, dude." You said lax, letting go of the can, hands on your hips. "Save the excuses, we're in civilized America.. We race over it." You glanced him over with a cocky expression. There was no way this guy could beat you. He was built like a twig! He'd blow over if he went too fast. You chuckled at the thought.

To your surprise, he smirked, reaching around his back putting the can of Bonk into his backpack. He zipped it up and flicked his gaze to you for a moment.

"Catch me if you can, girly." And with that he was off, racing out of the doors of the convenience store with a trail of dust.

"Ay! You gonna pay for that, man!?" The angry shop-keeper called after the guy who stole your Bonk can. You grumbled, figuring it would only be fair to give him a head-start anyways.

"He's probably not, you should look in the security cameras and find him." tossing the words over your shoulder as you left you lifted your feet and before you knew it you were speeding after the footsteps in the earth.

"We don't have security c..." You heard the faint call of a man but you were flying through the dirt road, narrowly dodging street signs. You were passing people, a few cars, street lamps, dodging past buildings, around corners, into an alley, scaling a brick wall, long jumping mud-puddles, and before long you could see the red shirt of the man in the distance. He seemed to have stopped short of two large buildings, one red, one blue, surrounded by wire fencing, and pulled out the can of Bonk. Leaning against bark under the shade of a tree, he lifted it to his lips.

"No!" you shouted. He jerked his head towards you and widened his eyes. He saw you running at full speed towards him. Quickly, he tried to run, but was having trouble not spilling the can of Bonk.

"Wait! Wait! Dang girl, you can have the damn Bonk, just don't tackle me, honest you can have it-!!" You ran against him at full force, knocking the wind out of his lungs and causing him to let the can go flying over the fence.

Lying against the guy's chest, panting for air, you looked down to see him utterly winded beneath you. You felt like your work was done and you grinned.

"What's the weather like down there, loserrrr?" You purred. He groaned, shoving you off of him as he sat up.

"The name's Scout, not loser.." He picked up his fallen baseball cap, sticking it on his head with a grunt. "(Y/n)." You replied. Cupping his cheeks in his hands like he was pouting you couldn't help but laugh.

"At least you didn't have to pay for it." You said. He snorted.

"Never do."

"Why so sour? Don't like losing?" You were having fun teasing Scout. He smirked.

"Naw. I love losing. Gives me a reason to hang out with the person more. Learn their weaknesses so I can beat 'em next time." This caught you off guard.

"Eh, 'sides, you're a pretty cool gal to like Bonk anyhow. I don't know anyone around here like that." You smiled.

"I guess we'll have to reschedule another race for another time. For now, wanna go find some more Bonk? Seems like.." you pointed over the fence at the sad, crushed little can in the dirt.

"Seems like the one you got is dead now."

"Yeah! I know a great place, but it's awhile away so we'd have to run there." He looked at you with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Oh, really?" You smirked.

"On your marks, get set..." you paused and saw him tense, ready to run. He looked at you after a moment.

"Are you gonna say go or are we just gonna sit here-"

"Go!" And you were off, leaving a trail of dust. He quickly caught on and ran after you.

Sadly it was only a matter of time before you realized you didn't know where the heck you were going and needed to stop to ask Scout for directions.