Lovely Night (Pyro x Mute!Reader)

Requested by ghostpies!
Mostly a fluff chapter, was going to go the route of angst but I do that too often. Plus, who doesn't like fluff?

It wasn't that you were stupid. It wasn't that you were angry. It wasn't that you were rude. It wasn't that you had nothing to say.

It was just part of who you are.

Nobody treated you differently. If anything, the men on your team were extra cautious not to hurt your feelings or come off as rude. They knew how you were and accepted you for it at face value. Nobody questioned your decisions or tried to force you to speak. But hanging out with everyone as their mouths moved a mile a minute could become arduous work for someone like yourself, so you found quiet solace with your best friend. He was someone you knew you could depend when the others weren't enough. He was always enough.

You sat silently next to Pyro in the grass outside the base. It was a cool summer night and the soil felt cold and silky in your hands as you drew circles. Crickets chirruped in the distance. A gentle breeze blew the stalks of grass, creating ripples and waves as dew drops glistened on each blade, reflecting the crisp moonlight that cut through thick clouds. It was a perfect night to enjoy with the company of your favorite companion, Pyro. Normally viewed as a pyromaniac who wanted nothing more than the fiery destruction of his enemies, you knew how stressful life could be for him at the base. They often called him a freak. A moron. You wondered, if Pyro could speak, would he finally be able to tell them the truth? Would they listen after all this time of judging? You knew the truth. It was obvious if they would stop and look rather than guess. Pyro was as lovable as a teddy bear, if not more. He only meant harm to those who hurt his friends. And the Blu team? They always hurt his friends. Especially his favorite friend; you. And that's exactly why he lets loose in battle every time. Since he couldn't speak through his mask, and nobody bothered to listen to him mumble and gesture, labeling him as insane, he had nobody. Until you came along.

He sat next to you, his warm side pressed against you. His head was angled upwards at the passing clouds, but after a minute he looked down, curiously watching your hand as it twirled in the dirt. He watched as your other hand smoothed out your canvas when the circles got too intricate, then he placed his gloved hand in the dirt with a slight murmur, concentrating as he drew a line, another line, and a curved line.

: )

His smiley face stood in the wake of all your confusing circles and you smoothed all of your circles being careful not to disturb his smiley. You circled the smiley face then looked to Pyro, smiling yourself. You were happy. So very happy to be in his company, and the feeling was mutual. Pyro scooted closer and leaned his head on your shoulder and you laid your head on his head. You could hear the faint noise his mask made as he breathed in and out. His warm breath billowed from his mask into the air in tiny puffs.

It surprised you at first, but you quickly realized the sudden weight on your hand as Pyro's glove. You grinned and opened your hand, letting his large gloved hand clasp yours, lacing your fingers together tightly.

It was indeed a really lovely night.