[17] The First Day

*Second Person POV*

        You are currently brushing Skyler's fur in front of Hiccup's place. Your bag that has your necklace's symbol on it, sits beside your feet. As you untangle Skyler's fur, your mind wanders for a bit. Hiccup organized a team of riders to go out with you. Which, no surprise, is the usual rider gang you hang out with. What surprised you though, was the fact Hiccup said he was coming along. His excuse for it is that these strange new riders could pose a potential threat, and he's determined to see it for himself. Though, somewhere in your mind, a single thought had bubbled to the surface before you pushed it away. It was that Hiccup was going to make sure you stayed safe. But how ridiculous is that? Why would he leave Berk without its chieftain to watch over you, right? You shake your head to clear that topic from your mind, and think of something else as you tug at a particularly stubborn knot in Skyler's fur.

         Fishlegs had informed you earlier about how they knew about Melody Island from past adventures. He had told you about a fairly nasty dragon that ate other dragons had lived there, till Hiccup dealt with it. Which you were slightly thankful of, though some part of you wouldn't mind this new group of people being eaten by it.

        Your train of thought was soon broken when Hiccup opened the door to his house. Skyler lifted her head with perked ears, at the same time you looked at Hiccup. He walked out and towards you, Toothless also exited behind him from the interior of the house.

        "Is it time?" You ask, curious, eager, and nervous all at the same time.

        "Yeah. Everything is sorted out." Hiccup informed, placing his hand on Toothless's head that had appeared beside him. "You know we have to leave Skyler behind right? ... Because of her injury," Hiccup pointed out reluctantly. Obviously, like you, he's not feeling too happy about it.

        You sighed, looking down at Skyler. She looking back at you with her big violet eyes. You had thought over this happening, and now that its proven true. You felt really bad about leaving her here, but you don't have a choice since you have a time limit.

        "Sorry Skyler. Maybe next time." You put a smile on your face, trying to keep her spirits up, but it didn't seem to work. She let out a small whine, and placed a paw on your legs. Looking at you with her big round eyes. "Don't give me that look," you groan, looking away from her cute yet worried eyes. Probably concerned that something would hurt you without her around. You glance back to see her still doing it. You sigh and push her off of you, before standing up and brushing off all the fur stuck to you. "I'll be fine Skyler. Hiccup and Toothless will look after me." You pointed out, walking over to them as you say it. Toothless makes a reassuring gurgle sound. Skyler huffs and lays back down, looking at the ground. You feel bad about having to leave her, but as you walk away to lead the way to the others. You feel like you're not quite as safe, without her by your side.

~~~~~~~~( Time skip )~~~~~~~~

        You find yourself staring at Hiccup's back, while you absentmindedly rub Toothless's smooth scales under you. Hiccup glanced at your from over his shoulder.

        "Sooo, you've been awfully quiet. Mind telling me why?" Hiccup spoke up, trying to get you to talk. It worked.

        "I ... still feel guilty about leaving Skyler behind." You admitted, still staring at his back.

        "There wasn't anyway she could have come though." Hiccup only echoed what you've been telling yourself.

        "I know but ..." Your voice drifted off, you shook your head. "I need to stop being so negative." You said more to yourself. Toothless gurgled in agreement, making you smile, and seeing you smile, made Hiccup smile as well. Everyone is smiling.

        "The sun will be setting soon." Astrid suddenly butted in. You looked to the left of you to see Astrid flying on Stormfly.

        "We should stop and camp somewhere." Fishlegs's voice suggested. You looked to your right to see him flying beside Hiccup and you on Meatlug.

        "Uh... Yeah, good idea Fishlegs." Hiccup responded. You raised an eyebrow at him, but didn't speak. "How about that island up ahead? It looks like its safe to land." Hiccup pointed out. You look down from your seat on Toothless, to see a decent sized island up ahead. Its mostly flat with grassy clearings, and a pond near a small forest. The only dragons you see inhabiting it are terrible terrors.

        "Sounds good to me. I'm soo tired of flying all day." Complained Snotlout from behind you.

        "Alright, its settled then. Lets go." Hiccup commanded. You put both arms around Hiccup's waist to get a better grip before Toothless dove down. Followed by everyone else as you all headed for the area near the pond to land. When you all landed on the ground and dismounted Toothless with Hiccup. You looked up at the almost setting sun. Signifying the first day of the three, are up.