[31] A Bump in the Night

*Third Person's POV*

        The cool night air gently flowed over the homes on the Isle of Berk. Stirring trees' leaves and making grass sway in the breeze. Crickets chirp and owls hoot from somewhere off from the shadows of branches. While silver moonlight and twinkling stars shine down on the peaceful sleeping village.

        Under the wooden roof of one of the biggest homes that lay under the stars, figures sleep soundly in the dark of night. A young brown haired male sleeps soundly under quilted covers. A black scaled, four legged beast is nestled soundly on his dark rock. In another room sleeps a woman with her autumn hair in three separate braids behind her. Her dragon rests elsewhere since the house, despite it being large, is still too small for her four-winged giant. A room over in the occupied guest room rests a young (H/C) (H/L) haired female curled up on her side in bed. A furry tan dragon, currently saddleless, rests by the side of her mattress, sleeping soundly. In the far corner of the room, out of the gentle moonlight, a young black haired male rests against his Sand Wraith's warm side. His bow clenched firmly in his hand, ready to be used if anything dared to threaten the peaceful atmosphere.

        And something did dare.

        A noise from so far off, and almost too quiet to be heard, rumbled from the confines of the wilderness outside of the village. While the Sand Wraith merely twitched in it's slumber, the Woolly Howl stirred. Fiery violet eyes pierced the dark of night and her tan head lifted itself groggily from the wooden floor. The dragon swept her gaze over the room, seeing nothing out of place. But a distant sound of thundering from the woods made the dragon become fully alert. She knew something wasn't right on this once peaceful night.

        Being careful not to wake the others sleeping in the room, the Woolly Howl stood up on her four legs and looked to her rider in bed. The dragon nudged the sleeping form of the girl with her head. All the dragon got in response was a frown forming on their rider's (S/C) face. The dragon tried once more, even tugging at the covers keeping the human warm and snug. This prompted a stronger response as the young woman groaned in annoyance and tried to pull her blankets back over her. Her dragon was having none of it, and yanked off the rest of her sheets, exposing her to the cold air of night. Immediately the rider tensed at the sudden change in temperature, and finally their eyelids fluttered open. They begrudgingly sat up, brushing stray strands of their hair away from their face. Their sleepy (E/C) eyes land on the violet gaze of their dragon.

        "Skyler? It's the middle of the night, what are you waking me up for?" The human whispered, irritated. Skyler responded by tugging on their rider's furry sleeve cuff, then walking with purpose to the closed door to look back at the tired human. The young woman blinked at their dragon.

        "You want to show me something?" She asked in a confused whisper. Skyler nodded silently in answer. The human let out an audible sigh before climbing out of bed. They put on their knee-high, beige boots with furry lining along the top. Then gathered their belt holding their bag and dagger holster just in case. They didn't bother putting on their sash of pockets, feeling too lazy to do so.

        "Alright, let's go." The young woman said tiredly as they opened the door for their dragon.

        Meanwhile, up on top of another wooden roof sits a young blonde woman staring at the stars. Her mind too troubled with thoughts and emotions to sleep. Her dragon sleeps soundly after being exhausted from the events prior to that day. Even though she had lost the race, she had tired herself when pushing too hard.

        No, the blonde tells herself. She isn't upset about losing, well not entirely. Something else nags at her conscience, something she can't ignore. The fact that her ex boyfriend is getting closer and closer to (Y/N) with each day that passes. She saw the look he gave her when they looked at each other after the race. Every time she recalled it, it caused pain to flare in her heart. Deep inside she knew that her chance with the boy she loved was gone, but she refused to accept it.