[27] Nighttime Talk

*Hiccup's POV*

        "Why do you think she's still so upset?" I asked Toothless, who is currently curled up beside me. We are sitting out in front of my house, looking up at the night sky sparkling with stars. Usually I would fly around on Toothless before heading to bed. Because, since I became Chief of Berk, I've had little time to myself to fly around anymore, so I came up with the routine flying at night. It reminds me of the times I snuck out to fly with Toothless when I was younger.

        I push those thoughts aside when Toothless responds to my earlier comment, letting out a small gurgle as he shifted his wings in a shrug. I let out a sigh as I look back at my house, (Y/N) had trained on her own after she yelled at us. Every time Varor or I came near, Skyler would drop what she was doing at grow a warning at us. Going as far as sticking to (Y/N)'s side to keep us away. (Y/N) did nothing about it, but still talked to everyone else.

        "I just don't get why she's acting that way," I thought aloud, turning back to look at the sky. Toothless lets out a gurgle that sounds like a grumble. I let out a breath of air as I just admire the vast midnight color with the quarter moon hanging up in the sky. Stars sparkling like icicles on a endless ceiling, while a peaceful breeze blows through the air.

        Suddenly, a shadow of a dragon blocks out some of the moon's light, before it starts to get closer. Toothless lifts up his head and his ears flick up in the direction of the approaching shadow in curiosity. Soon, the silhouette of a Deadly Nadder came into focus. I immediately recognized the dragon as the moon's white light shone on teal colored scales, along with a familiar face riding her back.

        "Astrid? What are you doing here?" I ask, as Stormfly noisily flaps her wings as she lands.

        "Couldn't sleep," she replied as she slid off of Stormfly. "Why are you hanging around in front of your house? I thought I would have seen you flying around." Astrid's one of the few who know about my night flights.

        "Just..." I looked around, trying to avoid eye contact. "Thinking," I answer vaguely.

        Astrid raises an eyebrow. "Uh huh. Whatcha thinking about?" She questions with a tilt of her head and a hand on her hip, standing in front of me.

        "Oh, you know..." I laugh nervously, rubbing the back of my neck. "Chief things."
Astrid doesn't look satisfied with the answer as she crosses her arms. "It's about (Y/N) isn't it?" She bluntly asked.

        "Pshh, whaat? Nah..." I try to play off, but fail miserably. Why does this make me so nervous? I have nothing to hide. What's up with you stupid brain?! I mentally scold myself.

        "Hiccup..." Astrid says in a warning tone. Still casting a shadow over me as she stands there, waiting for an answer.

        "Yeah... It is." I hang my head in defeat. Still fighting to understand why I feel so anxious about this. I hear a thump beside me, and look up to see that Astrid had plopped down in the empty space Toothless had left on the ground there.

        "Why are you so worked up about her?" Astrid asks, though the tone sounded a bit guarded.

       I let out a sigh, "I don't know... I mean, she kept avoiding me whenever I tried to start a conversation with her. Is she mad? She told me she wasn't when we got back here, before locking herself in her room. Which means she's clearly upset, but she says she isn't. And I-"

        "Hiccup," Astrid cut off my rambling. I snap my mouth shut and put my full attention on her. "How do..," she paused, hesitant. "How do you feel about her? Be honest." She quickly added in the last part.

        I look at her confused. That came out of no where. "Um, (Y/N) is a good friend, I guess. She's nice to have around, and tries her best to do things. Like trying to cook in the mornings, but ultimately needing Mom's help. Soo, yeah. I think she's a nice friend. Why do you ask?"

        Astrid, which I had now realized how tensed her shoulders looked, relaxed. "No real reason. Just... wondering is all." She said, looking up at the moon. Something told me she was hiding more then she let on, but I shrugged it off in favor of the fact of her still having trouble trusting (Y/N).

        So, we both just stared at the bright moon shining up in the sky. No one talked for a while, we just shared each other's company as time flew by. Stormfly had settled herself somewhere near Toothless's head, while Toothless just continued to rest his head on his front limbs.

        "Hey," Astrid spoke up, not taking her eyes from the moon as I turned to look at her. "Remember when we went out flying together under the full moon, just enjoying being together and being happy just flying next to each other?"

        I looked at my metal foot as I moved it side to side. "Yeah, that was a few months back. We were dating back then, right?"

        "Yup," Astrid said, staying silent for a moment. "It was nice."

        "You know it didn't work out." I say gently, knowing this was a touchy subject.

        Astrid let out a heavy sigh and picked at a rock on the ground. "I know, it's just... Maybe it could've worked out if we tried harder." The longing in her voice hurt for me to hear.

        "Astrid, I've told you already why it didn't work." I said as I leaned my head back against Toothless's warm scales.

        "But we've could of-"

        "Astrid, we had a good run. We lasted almost an entire year. But with me being Chief and barely having time to myself, having a relationship is hard to keep up with. Especially with the distance being Chief caused between us." I explain for the tenth time.

        Astrid looks suddenly angry. "Well I'm sorry for being hopeful, Chief! All I was suggesting is that we could try again and maybe try other stuff to make it work!" She hastily got to her feet, glaring down at me with a gaze so strong, I cringed away from her. "But I guess that wouldn't work out either! Because you're the high and mighty Chief now." Sarcasm practically oozed from her words, as she stomped her way over to Stormfly, who was now getting up as she saw Astrid approach.

        "W-Where are you going?!" I call out to her as I stand up.

        "Home," she flatly replied, swing herself onto Stormfly. And before I could get another word out of my mouth, she takes off and flies away without looking back.

        I let out a loud frustrated groan and slid a hand down my face as yet another girl gets angry at me today. "Why are women so complicated?!"

        Toothless, now sitting on his haunches, just shrugs in response with half lidded eyes.