[34] A Day in the Life of a Chief

*Second Person POV*

"Man, you would think these people can handle their own problems," Varor commented. Arms crossed over his furry shirt while he leaned against the Great Hall. We had just finished conversing with a viking who was concerned about her terrible terror, which funny enough, was sleeping in her hood unnoticed by the woman.

"Well, it's a chief's job to help his people," Hiccup shrugged. But just by looking at him, you can tell he somewhat agreed about the annoyance. He is sitting down on the Great Hall steps, Toothless soaking in the sun on the steps behind him. Remus and Skyler are doing the same a few feet away in front of the steps, curled against each other. You don't blame the dragons, it is a perfect day without a cloud in the sky.

A content rumble made you look down at your lap, where a large, brown head laid. Honey eyes half-lidded and relaxed. The Timberjack's body wrapped around you. You had to also sit on the ground because of the Timberjack's immense size. You pet his scaly head, causing the dragon's eyes to momentarily close. He can be such a sweetheart when he's not trying to kill you.

Varor turned his blue gaze to you, "I do not envy your future, (Y/N)."

You raise an eyebrow at him, "Why?"

"Being the heir to the cheiftess, you'll have to do all this stuff too. And personally, I'd rather not deal with annoying requests and people," Varor said.

"Eh, well..." Hiccup scratched his head. "It's not that bad. You get used to it," he paused, "mostly."

"It can't be all that bad, sure, there will be some times when it's taxing, but it can't be as bad as you make it." You say confidently.

Varor scoffed, "Your past self would beg to differ."

You perked up at this, "What do you mean?" Hiccup also looked over to Varor, letting an arm rest on his knee as he listened.

Varor looked at the ground, a nostalgic smile on his face. "Back at home, you would constantly complain to me about your cheiftess lessons. How they were so unnecessary and dull that you swear you would drop dead out of sheer boredom." Varor chuckled to himself, remembering a time forgotten by you. "You hated proper etiquette, learning about trade, and what's best for the clan. You would rant on and on about how much you despised it. Even taking out your frustrations during our sparring time. So much so, that you would get so caught up in telling me how unbearable learning when its best to trade our arctic char for wheat is, or how you must act like the perfect little girl for nearly everything, that you would beat the stuffing out of me."

You stared at Varor, "Was I... really that angry?"

Varor shrugged, a smile still on his lips. "When it came to those things, yeah... You sure were. But you didn't hate all your lessons. There were a few you absolutely loved. Mainly things like dragonology, self-defense, and dragon training." Varor shifted against the wall, looking up at the azure sky. "Then there was that one subject, something that your family was very secretive of. Despite you always looking forward to it, you kept your lips shut about all the juicy details. I still remember that one day I finally managed to convince you to ask your mother if I could at least watch some of whatever it was you were doing." Varor smirked to himself, "If I'm to be honest, it was a little disappointing. The Cheiftess only let me see the beginning part, not what I really wanted. I only got to see you two preparing a basket of food and random supplies while taking about things I had no clue what exactly meant. I only got to stay before you and your mother went off to Eden."

That last word struck something in your mind, and before you knew it, a door within your memories opened.

~~~~~~~~()~~~~~~~~