One step closer to freedom

I walk quietly beside Levi around the grounds to try and get his ankle used to being used again. I'm startled when he grabs my hand.

"I'm astonished you lived this long," he murmurs.

"Well, I lived outside the walls well enough," I reply. I look at his face and see the small smile there.

"Then don't die on me now," he says.

"I won't go anywhere until you see the ocean," I smile.

"I look forward to seeing it with you," He replies.

"Levi..?"

"Yes?"

"Are we anywhere closer to setting them free?" I ask solemnly.

"I would like to believe so. Remember, you have to be set free too," he tries to remind me.

"No."

"Hm?"

"I'm already free Levi. I can go out there if I wanted to and I can go back to the land without titans. These people can't," I say turning to smile sadly at him.

"I suppose you're right then. You've grown a lot in these past few years,"

"I guess I just saw a different side of life,"

"Don't you regret it?" He asks pained by his own question.

"Levi Ackerman. I don't regret one minute of coming to join the scouts. I got to learn what gear was. What hope is. What.. love is," I blush.

"You finally figure that one out?" He smirks.

"Love is what I feel when I'm with you. When I think of you when I'm alone. When I miss you not being near me. Love isn't defined by anything. Love is just love,"

"Wise words.." he mutters pulling my face closer to his. I don't panic this time, I feel his lips on mine and feel his warm embrace. This is the man I love. This is the man I want to set free.

Now I'm one step closer.