Chapter 1 (Intro/Prologue) - A Noisy Van

Vote and comment!

감사합니다 💜

  ───●◎●───  

My footsteps echoed through the street. The darkness of the night had fallen and rain started dripping from the clouds. My hood covered most of my vision as  I hurried home, carrying my heavy bag over my shoulder. 

Even though I had music blasting through my headphones I could still hear the splashes my feet made while stepping in the rain puddles. Tired after a long day of work, cold because of the rain I scurried another corner, getting closer and closer to home.

Ever since I started working full time my days became longer and longer. Waking up early to catch my train to arrive on time, to having to wait at night because my boss wouldn't allow me to leave a little earlier, resulting in me having to wait extra before I could take the next train home.

All in all, I got home late every day and ever since winter came, I left my house in the dark and arrived back in the dark.

As I passed the corner I arrived on a busy street. It was another ten-minute walk before I would get home. Other than the cars zooming by and the rain dripping down it was quiet. Around this time people were already home and ate dinner, were with their families and were probably lying on the couch, watching irrelevant TV shows. The early darkness that the winter created and the cold weather went hand in hand for the silence around me.

As I turned another corner and entered an empty street I fished in my pocket for my phone, to look for the time. Instead, my eyes focused on the tiny battery that was flashing red in the corner of my screen.

"Dammit." 

To save some power I turned off the music and locked the screen, putting the phone back into my pocket.

The sudden realization kicked in that the previously empty street wasn't so empty anymore. I grabbed the hood of my coat and lifted it up, making me able to have a better look around me. 

A van driving near me while mimicking my walking speed entered my vision. With tinted windows, I wasn't able to look into the vehicle.

I turned my head back to look in front of me and slowly started to pick up my pace. Every scary scenario shot through my head as I tried to hold my composure.

It's only a van driving way too slow next to you in the middle of this empty street at night, what could go wrong? I thought as the rain started to pour, flashes of lightning could be seen in the distance while the thunder rumbled loudly.

Just go home, nothing will happen, I tried to convince myself.

Lost in thought I sped through the street. As I was about to round another corner a body appeared out of nowhere blocking the path. Too late to realize I crashed into the person and fell backward, falling to the ground.

Before I could even mumble an apology I knew the guy was dangerous.

The buzzing of the van had stopped.

The car doors opened. 

The person who I bumped into grabbed my body and flipped it around, pushing my face down which made me yelp as he sat down on top of me.

I'm getting robbed! I panicked as I felt my cheeks scrape against the stone while I felt my bag getting ripped off my shoulder.

"I only have my work clothes with me, I don't carry expensive stuff!" I shrieked as I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. "Please I don't have anything, let me go!"

The weight on my body disappeared. I tried to get up, but as soon as I tried I froze as I saw that the man was still hovering over me. He looked like a giant as he looked down upon me. His hood covered his face, making him completely anonymous. I tried to crawl away but he grabbed my arm instead and lifted me off the ground without any effort.

Fear crept over me as I heard the figure chuckle at me. His arm was wrapped around my neck as his other arm was around my waist while he stood behind me. I reached up and grabbed his arm that was around my neck. I yanked at his grip but he held on tight, not budging an inch. His grip became tighter, making it harder for me to breathe.

"Please," I struggled. "Please let go, I swear I'll pretend like this never happened!" I tried to plead.

Again, I panicked as he didn't let go but instead started to push me towards the van. I struggled as hard as I could, I kicked my legs around, tried to claw at him, tried to bite his arm. I screamed at the top of my lungs pleading for help, for someone to save me.

My struggling didn't bother the guy as he easily brought me towards the van and threw me in the back without saying a single word. Before I could get back up and get out he slammed the doors shut, straight into my face. I fell back to the sudden slam and hit my head on the back of the wall that was the barrier between the trunk and the back seats.

The buzzing of the van turned back on and slowly but surely the van started to gain speed. I looked out of the tiny windows that were placed in the back doors. I saw the street I passed through every day go farther and farther away until I couldn't see it anymore.

We were now driving to who knows where.

───●●───