3. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

"Sittin' here resting my bones
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's two thousand miles I roamed
Just to make this dock my home

Now, I'm just gonna sit at the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away"

(Otis Redding, "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay")

"I'm only going to ask you this one more time," Hermione said slowly, her wand trained on the green-eyed man before her. His bemused expression was making her madder by the second. "Who are you?"

"And WHO are you?" Harry asked folding his arms as the girl used her free hand to hold on tightly to the towel wrapped around her body.

"I asked you first," she replied crossly.

He held out a hand to calm her, but she pointed her wand menacingly at him and he stepped back.

"Easy, easy," he said an amused tone to his voice.

"What?" Hermione asked when he started to laugh.

He shook his head. "Why don't you put that away before you take someone's eye out?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I can assure you that I know how to use it very well and if you keep on acting like that, I won't think twice about using it on you to hex you into the next century. I can do things with this wand..."

"Alright," Harry interjected. He pulled a serious face. "See? I'm not laughing anymore. Now...can you please put your wand down?"

"Not until you tell me who you are and why you're here," Hermione said firmly.

Harry shook his head again. He'd humor this girl, but he was quickly losing his patience. Here he was trying to be a good host, albeit on Sirius' orders, and he was being threatened by some crazy, wet woman in a towel. She actually had a nice figure, he thought to himself, but no sooner had he thought it, he wondered where in the world that thought had come from. He focused his attention back on the girl.

"You're on my island," he explained. "And I must say this isn't the best way to treat your host—well, one of them anyway."

With her wand still aimed at him, Hermione's mouth fell open. "You know Remus Lupin?" she asked.

"Yes," he answered. "Satisfied? Want to put that wand down?"

Still not looking convinced, Hermione studied Harry. "H-how do I know you're not some sicko Peeping Tom?"

Harry laughed. "I guess you'll have to just take my word on it. And if you look at it logically, there are only three people on this island. You, me and my godfather. Do you really think Remus Lupin would have sent you to an island where he thought someone would peep at you?"

Hermione hesitated for a moment before dropping her wand to her side.

"Thank you," Harry said, bending down and starting to pick up the towels and blankets that were littering the floor.

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologized. She watched him for a moment before bending down to help him gather up the linens. "You just startled me is all."

"It's no problem," he said absently. "You're early. We weren't expecting you until much later."

Hermione folded a towel and placed it neatly back into the basket. "There was some confusion about my portkey. Guess they forgot to take into account the difference in time zones."

As he reached over to put another towel in the basket, he was treated to a rather nice view of her cleavage. Luckily for Harry, she was busily folding another towel and didn't catch him staring. Harry quickly looked away.