19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside

"I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside"

(Mr. Brightside, by the Killers)

Hermione looked at her watch for what must have been the twentieth time since Harry had left. She still felt guilty about taking a personal day but Lavender kept telling her Hermione was being foolish. As a show of solidarity, Lavender had also owled in sick.

"You really didn't have to stay with me," Hermione said once again when Lavender plopped down beside her on the sofa.

"Yes I did," Lavender said. "I am your best friend in the whole world and I needed to be here for you. Besides, I really do have a headache from that party last night. So, I am technically 'sick'."

"Thanks," Hermione said smiling at her. "You've been really great, Lavender. I appreciate it."

Lavender waved her hand dismissively. "My motives aren't entirely unselfish. You can give me all the juicy details—now that we're alone. Is Harry back for good? Is he going to stay here with us? And the really important question: does he wear boxers or briefs?"

Hermione blushed. "Lavender!"

"What?" the blonde asked innocently. "Those are all really benign questions, Hermione. You can tell me you know. I've told you loads of things about the blokes I've dated."

"You've told me way too much about the blokes you've dated," Hermione said as she laughed. "Lavender, I really wish I could tell you, but aside from the boxers or briefs thing, I really don't know the specifics," she said after she'd calmed somewhat. She left out Harry's plans of teaching at Hogwarts along with the possibility that she'd be doing the same.

"Well you might not know the specifics, but it's quite obvious that he's crazy about you," Lavender said nudging her friend. "Anyone can see that."

"Yeah," Hermione said with a smile. "I'm mad about him too."

Hermione sighed after another glance at her watch.

"He's only been gone a few minutes," Lavender pointed out. "Everything will be okay."

"I don't see how..."

"It will," Lavender reassured her. "Besides, that weasely Ronald Weasley hasn't a leg to stand on here after he cheated on you with anything that had a pulse. And it's not as if you set off on your holiday to fall in love with his best friend. You had no idea Harry was going to be there, he had no idea who you really were, and when everything was out in the open the two of you tried to stay away from each other! But it was too late by then."

"Something tells me Ron's not going to see it that way," Hermione said as she pulled her knees to her chest and hugged them to her like she did when she was a scared little girl.

Lavender slammed her fist into the couch angrily and looked Hermione straight in the eye. "Sod Ron! He cheated on you, Hermione! And it wasn't as if the two of you were some great romance to begin with! You had almost nothing in common. And you fought more than you got along."

"This isn't just about me, Lav," Hermione whispered. "This is Harry and Ron—best mates. They've been through hell together and made it back in one piece. But Ron's always been a bit jealous of Harry and even though he hates himself for feeling like that, he still has those insecurities, Lav. When he finds out about Harry and me he's going to see it as yet another thing that Harry Potter stole away from him."