4. Don't Get Me Wrong

Don't Get Me Wrong

"Once in awhile
Two people meet
Seemingly for no reason
They just pass on the street
Suddenly thunder, showers everywhere
Who can explain the thunder and rain,
But there's something in the air..."

("Don't Get Me Wrong" by the Pretenders)

Harry didn't make contact with his godfather as he made his way quickly up toward the house. He didn't have to turn around to know that Hermione was also watching him. He hadn't meant to leave her so abruptly. Truth be told, he'd been enjoying her company. She hadn't been at all like he'd expected her to be. He couldn't help the smile playing at his lips as he thought of her sitting on the docks with the computer printout about fishing.

As soon as that memory came to him, he quickly tried to quell it. The reason he couldn't entertain any notions about this girl was looking down at him as he ascended the wooden staircase to the house. Sirius always thought he bloody knew everything, Harry thought crossly as he breezed past his godfather and into the house, without so much as a word of acknowledgement.

Once inside the house he mentally counted to three and sure enough, Sirius came walking into the kitchen behind him, a Cheshire cat grin on his face.

"Don't even say it," Harry said, as he turned the faucet on and began cleaning the marlin.

"Say what?" Sirius asked innocently. He leaned back against the refrigerator and watched his godson. When Harry didn't reply, Sirius admired the fish.

"She caught that, did she?" he asked.

"Yes," Harry said gruffly. "With my help."

"Pretty good for a beginner," Sirius commented.

"I suppose," Harry said noncommittally. A few moments of silence passed between them and Harry couldn't take it anymore. "Okay, Sirius. Why don't you just go ahead and say what you want to say and have done with it?"

Sirius shrugged. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Harry. I wasn't going to say a word about our guest. I was only going to ask you how the trip to Great Abaco was this morning."

"Yeah," Harry snorted. "Sure you were."

"I was," Sirius said defensively. "You sure are in a sour mood. Of course, you certainly didn't seem to be that way just a few minutes ago with...Hermione, wasn't it?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, her name is Hermione. I helped her catch a fish. End of story."

Sirius nodded. "Well, I'll leave you to it then. I think I may just take a walk...see where it may take me..."

Harry looked up from the sink. "Sirius..." he said warningly.

"See you later, Harry," Sirius said, without looking back at Harry.

  ❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾  

Hermione was in the kitchen about to make a quick lunch when the doorbell chimed. She set her plate down on the table and walked quickly toward the door. It wasn't Jack that greeted her when she swung open the door, but an older gentleman with a goatee and salt-and-pepper hair. He wore cargo shorts and a white t-shirt. Although he was dressed casually, he had an air of distinction to him and a mischievous glint in his eyes. He smiled warmly at Hermione and although she didn't know why, she liked the man immediately.

"Sorry to bother you," he said with a grin. "But I wanted to officially welcome you to Isla Solarte. I trust my godson hasn't given you too much trouble, has he?"