10. Fire

Fire

"You had a hold on me
Right from the start
A grip so tight
I couldn't tear it apart
My nerves all jumpin'
Actin' like a fool
Your kisses might burn
But my heart...
Stays (stays)...
Cool (cool)"

("Fire" by Babyface & Des'ree)

This is really, really nice. Sod that, this is absolutely fantastic.

Hermione didn't know what she was doing. One moment, she and Harry were walking along the beach, having a deep conversation and the next moment, they were kissing. She couldn't remember if she was the one to make the first move or if he did? She didn't really know and at the moment, she didn't care. The only thing she really knew was that she didn't want him to stop. This felt much too good to stop.

When they finally pulled away from each other, Hermione felt breathless and dizzy. He was staring into her eyes with such intensity that Hermione wanted to look away, but she couldn't.

"You're shivering," he said softly.

"I'm cold," she whispered. "I always get cold when I'm nervous. Well, that's one of the things I do when I'm nervous. I also babble, but you know that already. I can't...."

Harry laughed. "You don't have to apologize. I think it's cute when you babble."

Hermione blushed. "No one has called me cute since I was a baby."

"Okay, I think it's adorable when you babble," Harry said cheekily.

"That's a new one for me as well," she said with a laugh.

"You are adorable and cute and beautiful," he said, touching her cheek. "And if no one's ever told you that before, they're blind."

Hermione cheeks reddened even more at this. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and his hand returned to linger on her cheek once again.

"You don't have to be nervous with me, Hermione," he said softly. "If I did something to make you feel uncomfortable..."

Hermione shook her head vehemently. "You didn't. It was a nice kiss, actually. Quite nice, really... I-I liked it."

Harry smiled. "So did I."

He leaned in and kissed her again, this time with much more intensity. Her arms looped around his neck and she gasped into his mouth as he pulled her even closer. It wasn't close enough, though. Hermione was feeling so reckless right now and she'd never felt that way before in her life. She was always the sensible one. Everything was planned and thought out before she did it. This kiss certainly hadn't been planned. Meeting this very handsome, very charming man hadn't been on her agenda either, but look at her now. She was losing control and she could care less. This felt so right, so good.

But it wasn't right.

Ron.

Oh, God. What am I doing? What have I done?

Hermione pulled away from him.

"What?" he asked breathlessly, his voice full of concern. "Did I do something wrong?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, you didn't. It was me who did something wrong."

Harry sighed. "You didn't do anything wrong."

She turned away, unable to look at him. This was such a mess and what she'd just done with Harry had made it even messier than it was. She'd been attracted to him from the start... before she'd even known who he really was.

Why didn't I just tell him I knew who he was? Why didn't I tell him who I really was? Why? Why? Why? None of this would have happened. This is my fault.