16. Blame It On Your Heart

Blame It on Your Heart

You've got a thing or two to learn about me baby
'cause I ain't taking it no more and I don't mean maybe
You don't know right from wrong
Well the love we had is gone
So blame it on your lying, cheating, cold dead-beating,
Two-timing, double-dealing
Mean, mistreating, loving heart

(Patty Loveless, "Blame It On Your Heart")

"Hermione," Ron said brightly. "What...what are you doing here? I thought you weren't supposed to be back for a fortnight."

She wasn't looking at him, though. She was looking at the black, lacy bra in his hands. "Is that yours?"

"Is what mine?" Ron asked innocently.

"That," Hermione said, pointing to the bra.

"Oh, this!" Ron said with a laugh. "There's a good explanation for this actually."

Hermione folded her arms and looked at him expectantly. She couldn't wait to see what sort of excuse he came up with for this. She hoped that he gave her some credit.

Ron laughed nervously. He didn't speak for quite some time and Hermione could practically hear the wheels turning in his head as he tried to come up with a believable excuse. "This is a fan's. You know how they get, Hermione. They've taken to throwing their bras and knickers at us when we fly by."

"And you liked this one so much you decided to keep it?" Hermione asked challengingly.

"No," Ron said shaking his head. "Of course not! This must have stuck to my uniform or something. I was about to throw it in the rubbish bin when you knocked on the door."

A smug expression came over Ron's handsome features and Hermione could tell he was inwardly congratulating himself for coming up with what he believed was a convincing lie. Hermione resisted the urge to wipe that smirk off of his face.

"I see," she said instead, pushing past him into the flat. It was as messy and disorganized as ever. Magazines and newspapers were stacked in cluttered piles on the coffee table and on the floor. Empty pizza boxes and takeaway containers were stacked haphazardly on the piles. Hermione had always hated going to his flat mostly because she always had the overwhelming need to clean. She'd once thought it was an endearing trait of Ron's, but now she was just disgusted.

Hermione also noticed an empty bottle of wine and two glasses on the coffee table as well. She could hear Ron's sharp intake of breath behind her as he realized what she'd just spotted. Turning slowly around, she smiled sweetly at him. "Did you have company?"

"Just a few blokes from the team," Ron said quickly.

"I didn't figure them for wine drinkers," Hermione said raising an eyebrow at Ron. "They're more the fire whiskey and ale type."

Ron just shrugged and took Hermione in his arms. She flinched involuntarily, but he didn't seem to notice or care. "I missed you, Herms."

"You know I hate it when you call me that," she said coolly, rolling her eyes. Ron pulled her closer and nuzzled her neck. Hermione pulled away and forced a smile.

"I can't wait to hear about your trip," Ron said, cleaning away a space on the sofa for her to sit down. "It mustn't have been that great if you've come home early."

He inched closer to her on the sofa and was hugging her to him once again. The feel of his hands and lips on her skin made her physically ill. She swallowed hard before pressing a palm to his chest to push him away. With calmness she didn't feel inwardly, she spoke.

"My trip was...a real eye-opener," she said thoughtfully. "I learned a lot about myself whilst I was there. And I met some really wonderful people..."