7. Under the Boardwalk

Under the Boardwalk

"Oh when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof
And your shoes get so hot you wish your tired feet were fire-proof
Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah
On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be"

(Under the Boardwalk, by the Drifters)

Harry swore that the best place to snorkel was in Green Turtle Cay. As they made their way, he told her some more about what types of things she'd probably see. They were still holding hands, and she'd expected this to seem awkward, but it felt natural. If he didn't have a problem with it, she certainly wasn't going to draw his attention to it.

In fact, she was so caught up listening to what he was telling her that she forgot the fact that he was about to see her in a rather skimpy bathing suit.

Damn Lavender and her bright ideas.

She didn't know what troubled her more---the fact that Harry was going to see her in a bikini or why she even cared at all. There was no way out of it. She usually didn't care one way or the other about how she looked or what she wore, but for some strange reason she cared now. What would he think if he saw her stomach was a little flabby? Hermione wondered if perhaps she was worrying too much. Besides, it wasn't as if she didn't exercise. She did. For the past two years, she'd jogged every morning before work. That had been more for her health than anything and she'd found it to be a great stress reliever. Hopefully, it would have helped her figure in some way, as well.

Hermione couldn't believe she hadn't stood her ground that night with Lavender. It had been Lavender who'd suggested the bikini in the first place.

"Okay," Lavender said pleased as she looked over the pile of clothes she'd managed to pick out for Hermione. "We've got you something for pretty much any occasion, but you're still going to need a bathing suit or two."

From her perch on the edge of the bed, Hermione got to her feet and walked over to the wardrobe and pulled out a simple, cobalt blue, one-piece bathing suit. Without looking at Lavender, she folded it neatly and placed it in her suitcase.

"YOU ARE NOT BRINGING THAT OLD THING WITH YOU!" Lavender nearly shouted.

Hermione jumped. "What? Lavender..."

Lavender picked up the bathing suit and walked over to the rubbish bin by Hermione's desk and promptly chucked it inside.

"Lavender!"

"You'll thank me for it later," Lavender said smugly. She walked out of Hermione's room and down the hall to her own. A few minutes later, Lavender came back into the room hiding something behind her back.

"I don't see what's wrong with my bathing suit," Hermione said defensively. "I've had it for years."

"Which is precisely what is wrong with it," Lavender answered simply. "Hermione...this is a holiday you're going on. You need to look your best. And you can't look your best in that old, tatty thing."

"So what do you suggest?" Hermione forced herself to ask.

Lavender smiled. "I just so happened to have a suit in my room that I've never worn because it was a little too conservative for me, but its just about right for you, I think."

Lavender produced the suit and held it front of Hermione.

"You call that conservative?" Hermione finally managed to ask. "Lavender...my scarf covers more than that will!"

"I know!" Lavender said mischievously. "Isn't it great?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, it's not. Besides, I'm not going to this Isla Solarte to go sunbathe, am I?"