22. Everything's Not Lost

Everything's Not Lost

When I counted up my demons
saw there was one for every day
With the good ones on my shoulders
I drove the other ones away

So if you ever feel neglected
and if you think that all is lost
I'll be counting up my demons, yeah
hoping everything's not lost

When you thought that it was over
you could feel it all around
And everybody's out to get you
don't you let it drag you down

'cos if you ever feel neglected
If you think that all is lost

(Everything's Not Lost, Coldplay)

"You know you really didn't have to help me pack," Hermione said as she put some books into a large box. She was cleaning out her office at the Ministry and to Hermione's surprise Lavender had heartily volunteered to help. Usually, Lavender detested any sort of manual labor. In fact, Hermione had half expected Lavender to spout out the merits of packing with magic as opposed to doing it the Muggle way.

"I wanted to help," Lavender said grinning at her friend. "And to check out that hot bloke who works in your department."

"Finnigan?" Hermione asked.

"Is that his name?" Lavender asked innocently.

"You know very well it is," Hermione said laughing.

"Well, he did volunteer to help us take the boxes back," Lavender said. "And I just thought he was being really friendly and you know if he and I get to know each other in the process, well that's..."

"Icing on the cake?"

Lavender smiled. "Yes, icing on the cake."

"Well whatever your motives, I appreciate you doing this," Hermione said.

"No problem," Lavender said, as she took some more books off the shelves. These particular tomes were rather dusty and she cringed when some of the dust fell on her shirt. "How many bloody books do you own anyway?"

"A fair few," Hermione said absently.

"They're going to need to give you a whole new room at Hogwarts just to store your own books," Lavender joked.

"Ha-ha," Hermione said sarcastically.

"Speaking of which," Lavender said grinning mischievously at her friend. "Are you and Harry going to be staying in the same quarters at Hogwarts?"

Hermione frowned. "I haven't really given it much thought, actually. I've been so busy with packing and tying up loose ends here. I think I remember reading something somewhere about how they looked down upon unmarried professors' cohabitating or something like that."

"Cohabitating?" Lavender asked trying to hide her smile. "You make it sound so romantic."

"It's a school," Hermione said looking at Lavender. "It's not supposed to be romantic."

"Says the girl who will probably get caught snogging her fiancé in the broom closet," Lavender shot back.

Hermione blushed.

"You and Harry over the Christmas holidays," Lavender pointed out. "It's a technicality really. I think the headmaster should let the two of you live together..."

"I'll tell him you thought so," Hermione said laughing.

Lavender packed some more books into a box. "Well, are the two of you going to live at Hogwarts after you get married? Or are you going to get your own place away from the castle? Oooh, you should get a cottage, Hermione! They're so romantic!"