6. Message in a Bottle

Message in a Bottle

"Just a castaway
An island lost at sea
Another lonely day
With no one here but me
More loneliness
Than any man could bear
Rescue me before I fall into despair"

(Message in a Bottle, The Police)

Hermione quickly made her way down the docks toward the boat. When she finally made it, he didn't even offer to help her come aboard. She gave him a strange look as she did it herself.

"Where should I sit?" she asked warmly.

Without looking back in her direction, he muttered, "Doesn't matter."

She finally decided to sit on one of the bench seats and awkwardly put on a life preserver, hoping that she'd done it right.

"You know I've never been on a boat smaller than a cruise ship before," she said conversationally. "And I've only been on a cruise ship once with my parents for a summer holiday..."

Her voice trailed off as she realized he wasn't listening to a word she had to say.

What is his problem? This morning he couldn't have been more friendly and charming and now...

She was jerked back into her seat as he started the boat and they pulled away from the docks.

"How long does it take to get to Great Abaco?" she asked, deciding to try again to engage him in conversation.

He stood at the helm with his back to her. "About twenty minutes," he finally said gruffly.

"The name of your boat is Padfoot, Moony & Prongs?" she asked, deciding not to give up just yet.

"Yes," he said with a sigh.

"I hear that everyone names their boat something for a reason," she said with a smile, wishing he'd turn around. It was hard to carry on a conversation with someone's back. "What was your reason, if you don't mind me asking?"

"It's not important," he said quietly.

Hermione nodded. Seeing as he obviously wasn't going to contribute much in the way of conversation, she decided to concentrate on the beautiful view. It was shaping up to be a beautiful day. There was barely a cloud in the sky and the weather was warm, but not humid. Hermione reached into her bag for her sunglasses. When she looked up, she saw Harry jerk his head back.

Was he just looking at me?

Shaking off the thought, she put her sunglasses on and again tried to concentrate on the view and the feel of the wind on her face.

What caused the complete 180-degree turn? Was it something I did? Perhaps it was Sirius? If Harry didn't want to take me to the island, why did he even offer? If he changed his mind, I wish he would have said before we left. I can't imagine spending the entire day with Mister Mood Swing, here.

Realizing that she was perhaps being a little too harsh in judging his behavior, she tried to rationalize that perhaps he just wasn't a morning person. She could certainly relate to that. When she was at work at the Ministry, she wasn't even on cordial terms with anyone until after at least two cups of coffee. Maybe he was the same way, she thought. Deciding to give him the benefit of the doubt, she remained quiet, leaned back in her seat, and enjoyed the rest of the boat ride.

If she had thought his mood would improve once they reached Great Abaco, she was sorely mistaken. When they docked, he didn't help her out of the boat and onto the dock. He immediately jumped out of the boat and after making sure it was secure, he walked toward the mainland. She scrambled to keep up with him.