12. Pass You By

Pass You By

Don't have to stay with someone
That makes you cry
You'll end up killing all the love you have inside
Can't hope to see the sun
If you don't open your eyes
Girl don't let real love pass you by

("Pass You By"-Boys II Men)

It had been one week. One agonizingly long, awful week. There had been no contact. They'd not even glimpsed each other once, thanks to some careful planning on Harry's behalf. He made it a point to leave the island first thing in the morning and not return until well past midnight.

Despite the fact that he hadn't seen or spoken to her in days, Hermione was on his mind all the time. He wondered how she was doing. Sometimes, he wondered what her relationship with Ron was like. He kept trying to picture them together and he just couldn't. He knew his best friend and he had come to know Hermione. They seemed the two least likely people to fall in love with each other. Of course, there was that old rubbish about opposites attracting, but Harry had never put much faith into that.

He'd even thought more than once about telling Hermione the truth about Ron. It would be so easy to show her the letters. But, Harry couldn't bring himself to do it. Despite what Ron had done, he was still Harry's best friend. And Harry didn't want to "get" Hermione that way. He had a feeling if he showed her the letters; he may not "get" her at all. Besides, he reasoned, it wasn't really his place to tell Hermione what Ron was doing.

He hadn't responded to Ron's last letter, either. What would he have said? Maybe something along the lines of: Ron, you lying sack of shit! You don't deserve someone as wonderful, intelligent, beautiful, sweet, charming and incredible as Hermione! She's a worth a million of those other girls you've left behind! Oh, and on a side note, I've fallen in love with your girlfriend. Take care!

That wasn't a letter he could see himself writing without giving himself and the situation away.

He hadn't been completely in the dark about what Hermione had been doing, though. He did know that she'd taken Eva up on her offer to work at Café Oceana since Sirius had mentioned it to him the other day. Harry hadn't said anything in return because, at the moment, he wasn't speaking to his godfather. He did know, however, that Sirius had been taking Hermione back and forth to Great Abaco so she could work at the café.

Harry had spent most of the day out on the boat, fishing. The late nights and early mornings were beginning to catch up with him and he decided to have a proper lie in tomorrow morning. He knew it was late, but he hoped Café Oceana was still open so he could get a bite to eat before heading home. He figured Hermione had already worked the day shift and there'd be no harm in coming here now.

The restaurant was nearly empty, save for a couple sitting in the back sharing a bottle of wine. Harry sat down at the counter and leaned back in the stool when he heard a voice. Her voice.

"Hi," she said softly.

He looked up and instinctively, he smiled at her. She looked as beautiful as he remembered. She wore a simple, white, v-neck t-shirt and black trousers. Her hair was pulled back in a plait and she wore a half-apron around her waist. For the longest time, they just stared at each other, neither of them saying a word.

"It's really great to see you," Hermione said, at the exact same time, Harry said, "I'd forgotten you were working here..."

They both laughed nervously and looked away.

"You look like a natural," Harry finally said, smiling.

She relaxed and grinned back at him. "Now, I do. You should have seen me a couple of days ago. In the span of one hour, I broke seven plates and two glass mugs."