23. Into the Mystic

Into the Mystic

We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic
Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it
I don't have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
Then magnificently we will float into the mystic
And when that fog horn blows you know I will be coming home
And when that fog horn whistle blows I got to hear it
I don't have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And together we will float into the mystic

(Van Morrison, Into the Mystic)

Ron couldn't remember the last time he'd felt this way around a girl—so unsure of himself, so unsteady. He usually was the one in control spouting off lines and oozing wit and charm. But none of that would work with a witch like Luna Lovegood.

She wasn't the type to fall for his lines. It was almost as if she could see right through him. All of the bullshit he used with the other girls wasn't going to work with Luna. So, for most of the evening, words failed him when he was around her. For the first time he could remember, he was himself. He wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't and she seemed to like him despite all that.

Just as Hermione had, Luna fit in quite well with his family. They all took to her as if she was one of their own. She'd laughed heartily at Fred and George's jokes. She even regaled Arthur with tales of the Muggle things she had seen in her travels—to which Arthur made her promise to bring some artifacts she had collected when she visited next. Ron's numerous nieces and nephews were crazy about her as well. After dinner, Luna had their undivided attention and taught them how to make butterbeer cork necklaces. The elder Weasleys watched in amazement as their usually boisterous children sat in rapt attention listening to Luna's instructions.

Ron even pitched in to help despite the fact that he didn't have a creative or artistic bone in his body. While he didn't usually like it when people laughed at him, he didn't mind around Luna. He even joined in with self-deprecating remarks.

"So," Ron said when they were alone. "I guess I didn't do that bad for my first time, eh?"

Luna looked at the necklace around his neck and laughed. "You did fine. I just wouldn't quit my day job if I were you."

Ron laughed. "Yeah, couldn't you just see the headlines in the papers? 'Star Quidditch Player Quits; Pursuing Career as Jeweler'. I'd never hear the end of it."

"Well," Luna said throwing the leftover corks into a basket. "As long as it makes you happy, why would you care what other people think?"

With a shrug, Ron got off the floor and sat down on the sofa. "I don't know. I never really thought about it..."

"If you ask me, you care far too much about what other people think," Luna said softly. "At one point, you have to ask yourself, 'Am I living my life for me or for someone else?'"

"It's easy for you," Ron argued. "You've never cared—going around like a mad thing wearing those necklaces and those wonky earrings and that lion hat at school. I never could have done that. My friends would have taken the piss..." Luna stared at him. "I'm sorry," he said wondering what his problem was. Here he was trying to impress this girl and all he seemed to be doing was sticking his foot in his mouth. "I really..."

Luna waved a hand. "It's okay, Ronald. I knew what people said about me, and I won't lie to you, it wasn't nice to have them make fun of me and what I wore and what I did. But, you know what I realized?" Ron shook his head. "I realized that I didn't have to change who I was and what I enjoyed just to fit into the mould of what people thought was normal," Luna replied. "You know I've always hated that word—normal. What's normal to some people is strange to others."