𝓘

Harleen was slumped over her leather swivel chair, rewriting her notes for the thousandth time in her binder. She was trying to figure out what she had done wrong. Her head spun and she was almost as pale as her patient when she had come to the realization.

She couldn't love him.

She knew it would interfere with her work, and soon she'd have to report her progress to the head psychoanalyst of Arkham Asylum, of which would have her dismissed from her case if she couldn't make a significant dent in her research.

The blonde took a deep breath and undressed herself from her pajamas, buttoning on a red blouse and slipping into a midnight blue skirt. She collected her notepad and stomped downstairs, gradually pushing her feelings away, and swallowing the lump in her throat.

After scarfing down a skimpy breakfast, she threw on her doctor's coat and stepped outside and into her car. She sped up Gotham Parkway, and soon she found herself passing the gates of the Asylum, determined for information this time.

Walking down the heavily protected hallway, she raised an impatient eyebrow to the inmates, seemingly confused as to why she'd be walking there. But she shrugged them off, her eyes locked on a particular cell- his cell.

She tried not to sound aggressive, but apparently her greeting caused him to look at her differently, yet still a smile formed on his face, and he leaned against the glass and she could hear his words faintly.

"Hiya Doc, what can I do for ya?"

She explained that she needed a little more information and he began to throw some more tidbits of information to her until he leaned against the glass and asked if he could say something serious to her.

"Y'know sweets, I like what I've been hearing about you..."

Naturally, she was a bit shaken. Of course, not expecting him to say anything like that, but she was also curious, and so she pushed on a bit.

"Ummm really?... Anything... Uh... in particular?..."

"Mostly, your name... You didn't tell me your first name was Harleen? Harley Quin-zel! Rework it a bit and you get Harley Quinn, like the classic clown character Harlequin... The very spirit of fun and frivolity! You can see how I'd be attracted to it..."

He leaned so close to the glass it was almost like he'd been touching her face, and she felt her cheeks heat up. She knew she was being distracted and as much as it hurt her she pulled away, and politely explained that since there was nothing more he needed to tell her, she was going to kindly go; instead his purr of a voice stopped her, a soft smiling face against the glass.

"It's a name that puts...a smile on my face."

The very words out his mouth made her heart flutter, but at the same time, it'd crushed her. The very moment she'd insisted she could get over him, he gave her something to think about.

She walked out the hallways and passed the Asylum gates, her mind racing faster than her own car on the verge of reaching her home.

Suddenly she came to a stop.

Not because of a child, but because of a large, interesting house on top of a hill she'd almost passed by. Her curiosity getting the best of her again, she stared at it and analyzed it carefully.

Realizing it was abandoned, she began to make plans for it, imagine. Just the two of them. Starting life in a big house where no one would bother them...

It didn't sound outrageous, in fact, to Harleen.

It sounded very...

Possible.

•°•| Okie dokie guys so I'm super duper sorry this chapter was so short but I PROMISE that the chapters in the future are gonna be longer sooooooo have fun, read on, get some good R&R and I'll be right back after a word from our sponsor.