Chapter 1 Ⅲ

I stared at the man sitting across from me, completely dumbfounded. "She has... amnesia...?"

The doctor nodded solemnly in confirmation.

"Amnesia? But... how?!"

He sighed, plucking the glasses off his nose and staring down at them so he wouldn't have to meet my gaze. "Amnesia can be caused in different ways. In Angel's case, her head must've hit the car's window in just the right way on impact..." He hit his palms together to demonstrate, shaking his head.

"Will it go away?" I asked helplessly. "Will she get her memories back? It's only temporary, right? She can't just forget who I am forever!"

"Calm down, David," he said softly, but there was so much fear and adrenaline coursing through me that it was nearly impossible to take his advice. "Amnesia is different for everyone. Some people can fully recover within a number of hours, some gradually regain their memories over a few weeks or months, and some never fully recover."

"But that won't happen to her, right? She'll get better soon. She will..." I was mostly saying it to convince myself, but the look he gave me wasn't helping my confidence much.

"I hate to say it, but there's honestly no way of knowing. It's all on her now. There are specialists who can usually help if the situation doesn't improve naturally, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most victims are able to remember loved ones and other important information fairly quickly and you obviously care for her very much. I'm sure she'll remember you soon, though some of your experiences together may take time."

I sighed and slumped forward in my chair, my forearms supporting my weight, and just stared at the ground.

Don't worry, David, I told myself. She loves you more than anything, she'll remember. She was just in shock, that's all. It'll be okay. Everything will be fine. Just fine...