Chapter 14 Ⅳ

"You've reached David, sorry I couldn't answer the phone right now, leave me a message and I'll get back to you! Thanks, bye!"

I listened to the dial tone and slowly lowered the phone, hanging up before the voicemail could start recording. He didn't answer. He wasn't there... again.

My gaze was clouding over, my eyes staring straight forward into nothingness. Ghostly images were dancing at the corners of my vision, something I had become accustomed to, but now they were becoming clearer and clearer, quickly taking over and making my head throb from the amount of information being forced out of every crevice of my mind.

I groaned and doubled over, tears leaking down my cheeks. I wanted to scream at them to stop, for my brain to shove all these memories away forever if it meant I would never have to experience this again. I was tired of screaming, though. I was sick of pushing everything away, of fighting back what I was afraid of. So I forced myself to sit up, took a shaky breath, and slowly closed my eyes.

A scene flashed in front of me like a bolt of lightning, every moment and emotion as clear as the day it had happened. Everything unravelled at once and I sobbed, trying to make sense of what I'd just seen.

"Get out of my way!" I yelled, trying to push the officer aside.

"Angel, it's okay," David tried to reassure me. "It'll be okay."

"Don't leave me..." I whispered, but he was yanked away, the metal around his wrists glinting in the light. "NO!"

The scream jolted me out of the flashback, but there was still an image burned into my vision.

Handcuffs.

It all made sense now. Why I felt so uncomfortable around him, why I didn't trust him, why I kept having this recurring nightmare. He had been arrested. I had witnessed him getting arrested. Why he was arrested I wasn't sure, but either way, I was furious. Why the hell would everyone be trying to make me become friends with a criminal?!

I made up my mind then and there. I was going to get this guy out of my life, and as I stared down at the contact list on my phone, I got the perfect idea of how to do it.