Chapter 6 Ⅱ

"She did what?!" I asked, stumbling backwards into my chair. I felt like I'd just been punched in the gut, the wind completely blown out of me.

Cam held out his hands defensively, trying to make light of the situation while still being gentle for my sake. "She tried to kiss me, but there's no reason to worry, I promise. She was just confused and she's very vulnerable right now and I was there for her an-"

"And I wasn't," I finished, deflating like the sad balloon I'd become.

"That's not your fault, Dave, and you know that." Cam came farther into the room and sat on the edge of the bed, shaking his head. "She's scared... She just needs time."

My eyes slipped shut, trying their best to block out this agonizing reality. "I love her, Cam..."

"I know you do, and so do I. You think it's easy for any of us to see her in this state?" He sighed, "But I can only imagine what you must be going through. If this had happened to Meg, I... I don't know how I would've gotten through it."

I tiredly lifted my head to face him and asked, "Did she even mention me?"

He shrugged apologetically, anxiously tapping his fingers on his legs. Angel had told me before that it was a nervous tick of his. A telltale sign of whenever he was unsure.

"Most of her teachers gave her a pass on finals since her grades were good enough, so she won't have to make up the time or anything," he said, obviously trying to change the subject, but I was too exhausted to try and push my question. "But anyway," he continued when I didn't respond, "I'm going to be visiting her as much as I can, and I know that Meg and Mindy will be more than willing to help out with whatever she needs."

I just stared at him as he spoke, feeling completely useless and crushed that there was literally nothing I could do to help the woman I loved in her greatest time of need. She needed her friends more than she needed me. This wasn't the first time her life had been this way, what with me being across a damn ocean for most of our relationship. She depended on them to be there for her when I couldn't be.

Maybe that was why she was more comfortable around them than me right now. Because they were the ones to help her through the hard times; the difficulties that I had caused her.

"It's all my fault, Cam... All of this is my fault..."

Cam stood up with authority, looking down at my weak form with determination burning through him. "Do you remember what happened when Angel blamed herself for you getting arrested?"

I shivered as the flashback seared across my vision and I absentmindedly rubbed my wrists, feeling the handcuffs dig into my skin once again. I'd been so scared then, not just because I might've been going to jail, but because I didn't know when or even if I'd be able to hold Angel in my arms again. This was a lot like that, but it was so much worse. She was just within my reach, yet still so far away...

"Please help her remember..." I croaked, my voice cracking with desperation. "I can't live without her..."

A sturdy hand gripped my shoulder, helping to ground my emotions before they got too out of hand. "I will," Cam insisted, not a hint of worry in his tone. "I promise you, I will."