twelve

seunghoon

"THE ATTACK yesterday has impacted everyone," Director Hamada speaks at the front of the long, metal table. "Not only are people talking about it in the fourth sector, but in neighboring sectors, also. People are wondering how we could've missed these clear warning signs. But they're mostly wondering how we couldn't protect those eighteen innocent humans who lost their lives.

"We lost thirty eight men and women yesterday. During a single Noctura attack. Thirty-eight. We went into that square with sixty people and thirty-eight of them did not make it out alive. People aren't okay with this. We aren't okay with this. We're the AAN. We are the soldiers who fight against the Nocturas, who protect the humans. We're not very good protectors if we let eighteen innocent people and thirty-eight of our own soldiers die, are we?"

No one says a word. Everyone sitting around the table is silent.

"I'm making some new rules," the director continues. "Every member of the AAN will receive new, better training. And training will be continued every three months. Extra training time is optional, but at least fifty hours of training need to be completed every three months, for any rank. Leaders will need to complete sixty hours of training. We are not going to have another incident like the clock tower square incident. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes, Director," we all say in unison.

"You are dismissed."

Everyone gets up and begins filing out of the meeting room.

I move over toward Teagan and begin walking with her.

"Fifty hours of training every three months." Teagan lets her breath out.

"I think it'll be good," I say. "We need to know what to do. We have to be better prepared for an attack like that. Director's right. We can't let that happen again."

Teagan nods. "I agree, it was a terrible attack. But I think the reason it was so terrible extends beyond the amount of training."

I sigh. "Yeah."

We move over to Teagan's desk and she settles down into her seat, pulling up her computer and putting her glasses on.

"Do you wanna go to dinner?" I suddenly ask.

Teagan gives me a confused look. "Tonight?"

"No," I tell her. "Not tonight. Unless you get off work early tonight."

She gives a small laugh. "Unfortunately..."

"Not tonight," I repeat with a smile. "But one night. One night you don't have to work late. We can go anywhere you'd like."

Teagan organizes some of her papers. "Seunghoon... I work late every night."

"Come on," I beg. "You've got to be able to take off or switch shifts at least once. Why don't you?"

She sighs. "Seunghoon, I'd love to, but... my work just means a lot to me and..."

"And you don't want to be distracted by anything else?" I ask.

"It's not that. I just..." she trails off.

"You don't want to be in a relationship?"

She looks up at me. She stares at me with her bright blue eyes. Then she takes a deep breath, saying, "I like you, Seunghoon, I really do. But my last relationship wasn't a good one and I just... I don't think it's a good idea."

"It doesn't have to be a date," I tell her. "We can just go to dinner as friends. Or if dinner is too formal then let me take you to lunch. We'll go as friends and you can tell me about your last relationship."