thirty four

minho

WHEN JINWOO comes out of the bedroom, I'm standing in the kitchen, making coffee.

He takes a deep breath as he walks over toward me. "Coffee? It smells good. Coffee sounds really good right now."

I smile at him. "Well, you're in luck, then. I was craving coffee this morning so I thought I'd brew some."

Once the coffee is finished, I pour some into two glasses, handing one to Jinwoo. He sips it carefully.

"Good?" I ask.

He nods. "Really good. Thanks."

I take a sip and move over toward the small kitchen table. I sit down and place my coffee cup on the table. Then, I look down at the cup, watching the steam from the coffee rise into the air, eventually dissipating.

Jinwoo moves over to the other side of the table, carefully sitting on the chair across from me. He sets his coffee cup down and then looks at me.

I move my eyes upward to meet his. "Is everything okay?"

"Yoon hasn't contacted us," Jinwoo says quietly.

"Ah." I take a sip of coffee. "He will. Maybe he's still trying to get more information."

Jinwoo wraps his hands around his coffee cup. "Yeah, maybe. I just... I want to know. I want to be able to understand my past. I want to remember."

"We're gonna figure this out, okay? I promise."

He looks at me, strands of his dark brown hair falling in front of his eyes.

"Do you have work today?" He changes the subject.

"Yeah," I respond. "I should probably go in soon. Do you want to come with me?"

He quickly nods. "I need to do something. I can't just sit here and think about the information Yoon may or may not have."

"Okay," I tell him. "Let's get ready and we can leave."

I stand up and move into the kitchen, setting my coffee cup down on the counter. I start heading toward the bedroom to get ready for work.

"Minho?"

I turn around, raising my eyebrows.

Jinwoo is standing now, looking at me with worried eyes.

"What is it?" I ask. "Are you okay?"

He nods. "I'm fine, I just..."

I take a deep breath. "Is it about the other night?"

He swallows.

"It's different," I explain. "It's different and weird and I can't imagine how you must feel. But don't think about it too much. At least, try not to. You can't help it. You have to eat to survive, right?"

"Her name was Anita."

I don't respond for a long moment.

He steps forward, pressing a hand against the kitchen counter. He looks down but I can still see the tears forming in his eyes.

I move over to him, putting my arm around his shoulders.

"Jinwoo, I know it's hard, but—"

"You don't understand."

He steps away from me so I drop my arms.

"I know, I don't know how I could ever understand the situation you're in," I tell him calmly. "But I'm trying to help you. I really am."