seventy

minho

"HELLO, MARIELA."

I keep my eyes trained on Mariela's.

"It's so nice to see you, Jinwoo." She gives Jinwoo a grin before looking back at me. "And you, Minho. I see you've brought what I asked for. This is Kaila, my friend. She was once a human, but as you can see, she is no longer."

I glance into Seunghoon's eyes. They are full of fear.

"Let Seunghoon go," I demand.

"Not until you hand over Jinwoo." Mariela smirks.

"We'll do it at the same time," I tell her.

No one makes a move for a moment. I can see a bit of sunlight from the sunrise. I can hear the sound of a train rumbling, getting closer.

Mariela takes the gun away from Seunghoon's side, holding it away from him.

Jinwoo steps forward voluntarily.

"Drop the gun," I command. "No guns. No weapons. Just a trade."

"A life for a life," Mariela says.

She carefully drops the gun behind her, kicking it back.

I narrow my eyes. "You hand Seunghoon over. Jinwoo goes to you."

She stares into my eyes.

The other girl, the Noctura girl, is glancing back and forth between Jinwoo and me.

Mariela loosens her grip on Seunghoon's arm.

I can see the train now, getting closer to us.

Jinwoo voluntarily takes a step forward.

"A life for a life," Mariela repeats.

She takes her hand off of Seunghoon's arm.

Jinwoo steps forward, looking into Seunghoon's eyes.

Mariela pushes Seunghoon forward. He stumbles but catches himself, then quickly moves toward me.

I see Jinwoo's eyes change and he looks straight at Mariela.

"Now!" I scream.

Jinwoo leaps at Mariela and I see her eyes change. I shove Seunghoon behind me and feel as my eyes change.

But Jinwoo never makes it to Mariela.

The train starts to pass us.

The other Noctura, Kaila, grabs Jinwoo and I watch as she uses all her strength to throw him at the train.

My heart stops and time seems to slow for a split second.

Jinwoo lands in an open train car.

Mariela and Kaila race toward the train, jumping into the car after him.

Without thinking, I grab Seunghoon and put him over my shoulder. I run after the train, jumping into an empty car. Seunghoon rolls toward the back, slamming into the side of the car.

I'm on my feet, trying to calculate how I can get to the train car Mariela is in, about four cars up.

"Minho!" Seunghoon screams.

I look over at him. I quickly move over to him, ripping his ties off with my teeth.

He rubs his wrists, looking up at me. Looking into my black and violet eyes.

"I'm sorry," I say over the sound of the train. "I'm sorry I lied, Seunghoon. I have to go. I have to save them."

I've figured it out, now. There's a ladder on the side of the car that I carefully jump onto. I climb up onto the top of the train and get my balance.