forty four

seungyoon

I STAND in front of the 4th division AAN building.

A light rain is falling from the clouds above, causing the pavement to darken and my clothes to become damp.

When I left Minho's house, I saw that Seunghoon's house was still dark. I couldn't tell if he was inside sleeping, or if he still wasn't home.

If he's here, he'll definitely be notified of my presence as soon as I make myself visible.

This is for Nephi. He'll get out of here.

I move forward, moving up the stairs of the Alliance building. I take my hood off my head and gently slip my mask off.

Through the windows of the building, I can see people rushing around. A man knocks over some papers and a woman shouts something, but I can't hear what they're saying.

But I don't think they've spotted me yet.

I move closer to the front doors, reaching out to open the door on the right.

There's a front desk. A woman is standing at the front desk, facing the left.

Someone shouts something, off to the left, "Where'd he go?"

I step forward, letting the door close.

The woman turns to me, her eyes widening. She quickly presses something on the desk in front of her.

I hear some shouts on my right, but I keep my eyes trained on the woman.

"They said Nephi goes free if I turn myself in," I state.

I pull a gun out of my back pocket and keep it in my right hand, resting against my thigh.

The woman gasps.

But that's all she has time to do.

AAN officers run toward me, their guns pointed right at me.

I count them.

There's seven surrounding me.

"Drop your weapon!" One of them shouts.

"Where is Nephi?" I ask.

"I said, drop your weapon!"

"I'll drop it when you tell me that Nephi is fine!"

"Hold your fire."

I look over to my left. There, I see a familiar face.

"Yoon. You decided to turn yourself in."

I narrow my eyes. "Seunghoon. Where's Nephi?"

"The kid Noctura?" He asks. "Don't worry. He's fine. We're letting him go, as promised, as soon as you put down your weapon and come with me."

I take a deep breath. "You swear to me that Nephi walks."

Seunghoon nods. "Of course, Yoon."

"Swear it," I demand. "Swear it on your life."

"I swear on my life," Seunghoon responds, never hesitating.

I close my eyes for just a moment, then I open them up again. I look at the gun in my right hand.

I toss it onto the floor in front of me.

As soon as my gun has left my hands, multiple officers rush toward me, forcing me onto my knees. They get my hands in front of me and cuff my wrists together. They quickly search my clothes and body for any other weapons, but I have none.