forty three

jinwoo

MINHO PACES in front of the television.

I'm sitting on the couch, bouncing my leg nervously, glancing back at the clock on the stove over and over again.

2:42 a.m.

"Do you think he's okay?" I ask.

Minho nods as he paces. "He has to be okay."

"But if they found his base, he would do anything to try and save the people there," I say quietly. "You know he would. His whole life revolves around saving and helping those Nocturas. If they get captured or..."

"But he's smart." Minho suddenly stops pacing and looks over at me. "If they already have everyone captured or arrested or... they're about to kill the Nocturas... he would know his life is too important to risk. Without him, we don't have a face or a leader for the Alliance. He knows that. He has to."

I look down at my legs, criss-cross on the couch.

The AAN found the safe house in the sixth sector. That means, they're going to arrest every single human working there, or possibly kill them. And they're going to kill the Nocturas there.

Suddenly, I think of something.

"Wait," I say aloud. "How could they kill the Nocturas? They don't even know who the Nocturas are."

Minho stops pacing and looks over at me. "I mean, if they find people in rooms that aren't working there, they'll probably be smart enough to figure out that they're a Noctura. But everyone else working, they'll probably assume is human."

"But they can't know for sure," I tell Minho. "They can't know who's Noctura and who's human. They can't do that. Right?"

"Right," Minho answers. "But that doesn't mean they won't guess. It's the Alliance. The AAN wants to take down Nocturas and anyone who aids the Nocturas. The Alliance is a direct friendship between human and Noctura. Who knows? They might just kill everyone there, including the humans."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

All I can think about is when I was there. Everyone was so kind to me. Everyone there just wanted to help me and make sure I was comfortable. And the other Nocturas who were staying there were so kind, too.

Nephi.

I start thinking about Nephi and I have to open my eyes so I don't picture him.

They wouldn't kill a child.

Would they?

Minho suddenly sighs and sits down next to me. "You know, worrying like this isn't going to help anything. We should try to get some sleep. Yoon will be able to handle whatever is going to happen."

I sigh, too. "You're probably right."

"How about you take the bed and I'll take the couch?"

"Sure."

Minho tells me to sleep well as I get up and walk into the bedroom. I keep the door open a bit instead of closing it all the way, then I lie on top of the covers, staring up at the ceiling.

I can't sleep.

All I can think about is Yoon and that safe house and everyone there.

Will they really kill everyone there?

It's the AAN. That's what they're here to do. Kill Nocturas.

I wrap my arms around myself and then turn onto my side, pulling my knees up.