twenty

minho

I DON'T sleep the entire night. I try to sleep in my bed but it feels weird, somehow, sleeping in my bedroom when I've been sleeping on the couch lately.

I'm worried about Jinwoo. I know I barely know him and he barely knows himself, but I feel obligated to help him.

He doesn't remember anything about his past. He didn't even think he was a Noctura. I saved his life twice.

So, now I worry about him.

In the morning, I make myself coffee. It doesn't help my energy at all, but it tastes pretty good. Plus, it'll make me seem more normal when they do a search on my house.

Thinking about the search, I decide to make a breakfast.

I cook up an egg and eat an apple from the fridge. I leave the dishes in the sink and toss the apple core into the trash. It's almost empty—there are only a few pieces of trash in it.

My anxiety is higher than usual today.

I sit at the table in the kitchen, constantly checking my phone, waiting for some kind of update from Yoon. He doesn't seem like the type to give me updates through a text or call, but still. I just can't help but worry.

I stand up and refill my coffee.

Then, I hear my phone vibrate on the kitchen table.

I quickly move over to it and grab it, almost spilling my coffee.

My heart sinks when I see that the message isn't from Yoon.

It's from Mariela.

They're searching my house right now. You good?

I text her back.

Everything's fine, per usual.

All she says back is:

Good.

I set my phone back down and put my head in my hands. I run my fingers through my hair and feel that it's kind of dirty. I should take a shower later today.

But what if they don't search my house until later? I'll just be here worrying all day until they come through.

House searches are always horrible to go through, but they're not that bad. I just act like I don't have anything to hide. All I do is live here. I'm a normal human just like everyone else.

I take a sip of my coffee.

I wonder what Seunghoon is doing today. I'm sure he's at work. But they wouldn't have him doing searches, would they? I don't think officers do searches, I think only senior officers and executive soldiers do unless they changed—

I don't get to finish the thought because the doorbell suddenly rings.

It causes me to jump but I quickly stand up, take a deep breath, and move over toward the door.

Once I open the door, I see three men standing outside, wearing AAN vests.

Standing on the right is my best friend, Lee Seunghoon.

"We're here to do a home search," Seunghoon says, cracking a small grin.

I open the door wider, allowing them to step inside. "Yes, of course. Please come in."

They step inside and the other two men get to work, starting with the kitchen.

"We're going to search through all your personal belongings inside the house. If we have any questions, we will ask. If you have any questions, please let me know." Seunghoon gives me a small smile. "You know the drill, Minho."